History Podcasts

Edsall DE-129 - History

Edsall DE-129 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Edsall II

(DE-129: dp. 1,200; 1. 306'; b. 36'7", dr. 8'7", s. 21 k.;
cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl.

The second Edsall (DE-129) was launched 1 November 1942 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Bessie Edsall Bracey (see DD-219)
and commissioned 10 April 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. C. Woodward in command.

Edsall was schoolship at Norfolk, 20 June to 6 August 1943, for precommissioning crews of escort vessels then at Miami with the Submarine Chaser Training Center. In March 1944 she joined a tanker convoy at Galveston, assigned to Escort Division 69, whose flagship she became 24 March. Edsall continued escort duty from the Gulf to New York and Norfolk and with one convoy to Argentia. In May she sailed to Bermuda for antisubmarine warfare tests using a captured Italian submarine.

Between 1 July 1944 and 3 June 1945 she ranged Atlantic sealanes guarding seven convoys carrying the very lifeblood to the Mediterranean and Britain. While escorting the sixth convoy en route to New York from Liverpool on 10 April 1945, Edsall along with other escorts were quick to come to the assistance of two tankers in the convoy who had collided. Edsall searched for survivors and helped extinguish fires which broke out.

Edsall sailed for the Pacific 24 June 1945 but the war ended while she was training at Pearl Harbor, and she returned East. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 11 June 1946.

USS Edsall (ii) (DE 129)

Decommissioned 11 June 1946.
Stricken 1 June 1968.
Sold in July 1969 and broken up for scrap.

Commands listed for USS Edsall (ii) (DE 129)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1T/Cdr. Edwin Charles Woodward, USN10 Apr 19439 Jul 1943
2Sheldon Howard Kinney, USN9 Jul 194330 Oct 1943
3Vernon Aaron Isaacs, USNR30 Oct 194314 Jan 1944
4Malcolm R. MacLean, USNR14 Jan 194423 Apr 1945
5William W. Yeomans, USNR23 May 19452 Jan 1946

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Media links

Edsall-class destroyer escort

The Edsall-class destroyer escorts were destroyer escorts built primarily for ocean antisubmarine escort service during World War II. The lead ship, USS Edsall, was commissioned on 10 April 1943 at Orange, Texas. The class was also known as the FMR type from their Fairbanks-Morse reduction-geared diesel drive, with a type of engine used in the submarines of the time. The FMR's substitution for a diesel-electric power plant was the essential difference from the predecessor Cannon ("DET") class. [1] This was the only World War II destroyer escort class in which all the ships originally ordered were completed as United States Navy destroyer escorts. [2] Destroyer escorts were regular companions escorting the vulnerable cargo ships. Late in the war, plans were made to replace the 3-inch (76 mm) guns with 5-inch (127 mm) guns, but only Camp was refitted (after a collision). In total, all 85 were completed by two shipbuilding companies: Consolidated Steel Corporation, Orange, Texas (47), and Brown Shipbuilding, Houston, Texas (38). Most were en route to the Pacific Theater when Japan surrendered. One of the ships participated in Operation Dragoon and two were attacked by German guided missiles.

    , Orange, Texas , Houston, Texas
  • United States Coast Guard
  • United States Navy
  • Mexican Navy
  • Philippine Navy
  • Tunisia Navy
  • Republic of Vietnam Navy
  • Vietnam People's Navy
  • 1,253 tons standard
  • 1,590 tons full load
  • 3 × single 3 in (76 mm)/50 guns
  • 1 × twin 40 mm AA guns
  • 8 × single 20 mm AA guns
  • 1 × triple 21 in (533 mm)torpedo tubes
  • 8 × depth charge projectors
  • 1 × depth charge projector (hedgehog)
  • 2 × depth charge tracks

Edsall DE-129 - History

The Great Atlantic Hurricane of September 1944

Ken Adams, RM2/c

I submitted an article to DESANews in 1986 containing my and a shipmate's eye witness accounts of the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 13 September 1944. Since the publishing of my article, four additional eye witness accounts from DE sailors have been published concerning this same hurricane. In 2007, I sent these article's to Tim Deegan, weatherman for Channel 12 in Jacksonville, FL. His initial response was, "Wow!

As I had lived in Kentucky most my first 19 years of life I doubt if I could have spelled hurricane at that time (joke), so I never realized the pending danger I would face while in the USN. It would be nearly 40 years later before I found out I had been in the Great Atlantic Hurricane of September 1944.

I enlisted in the USN in May 1943. After completing bootcamp at Great Lakes Training Center, Chicago, IL., I attended the US Naval Radio School, Indianapolis. Graduation day arrived January 3, 1944. Next, I attended Merchant Marine Radio School, Noroton Heights, CT. The Navy manned the Radio function/gunnery function on the Marine vessels. However, this school was closed and in early February I was transferred for sea duty aboard the USS EDSALL DE 129 as a radioman.

On 13 September 1944, EDSALL was returning to New York from Taranto, Italy. USS WARRINGTON DD 383 had departed Norfolk Navy Base two days earlier escorting the USS HYADES AF 28 enroute to Trinidad. Little did any of the ships in the area know what we were all about to face.

The hurricane was first detected on 9 September, northeast of the Lesser Antilles. It likely developed from a tropical wave several days before. It moved west-northwestward, and steadily intensified to a 140 mph major hurricane on the 12th, northeast of the Bahamas. Around this time, the Miami Hurricane Warning Office designated this storm The Great Atlantic Hurricane to emphasize its intensity and size (1) .

The powerful hurricane reached Category 4 as it raced towards the Eastern Seaboard, her winds blanketing a 600 mile area. The photo shows the track of the storm.

The hurricane had reached her maximum fury when encountered by the USS WARRINGTON DD 383 approximately 450 miles east of Vero Beach, FL.

WARRINGTON and HYADES had received word that they were steaming directly into a hurricane. On the evening of the 12th, the storm forced the destroyer to heave to while HYADES continued on her way alone. Keeping wind and sea on her port bow, WARRINGTON rode relatively well through most of the night. Wind and seas, however, continued to build during the early morning hours of the 13th. WARRINGTON began to lose headway and, as a result, started to ship water through the vents to her engineering spaces (1) .

The water rushing into her vents caused a loss of electrical power which set off a chain reaction. Her main engines lost power, and her steering engine and mechanism went out. She wallowed there in the trough of the swells - continuing to ship water. She regained headway briefly and turned upwind, while her radiomen desperately, but fruitlessly, tried to raise HYADES. Finally, she resorted to a plain-language distress call to any
ship or shore station. By noon on the 13th, it was apparent that WARRINGTON'S crewmen could not win the struggle to save their ship, and the order went out to prepare to abandon ship. By 1250, her crew had left WARRINGTON and she went down almost immediately, stern first (1) .

As I was a Radioman I copied the distress call from WARRINGTON. The EDSALL proceeded to be of help. Before we got to the scene, some five other DE's had arrived and we were informed by radio contact to proceed to New York. A prolonged search by HYADES, USS FROST DE 144, USS HUSE DE 145, USS INCH 146, USS SNOWDEN DE 246, USS SWASEY DE 248, USS WOODSON DE 359, and USS JOHNNIE
HUTCHINS DE 360, along with ATR-9 and ATR-62, resulted in the rescue of only 5 officers and 68 men of the destroyer's 20 officers and 301 men.

My ship, USS EDSALL, survived the hurricane. It is difficult, at best, to describe this event. Anyone not involved cannot understand the severity of this storm. Anyone involved can never forget.

Prior to submitting my article to DESANews, I researched the degree of "roll" a DE could/did take before rolling over. 70 degrees is said to be the DEs limit. EDSALL did a 57 degree roll during the hurricane. The rolls and plunges strew all the eating utensils about the galley. Crewmembers strapped themselves in their bunks and prayed our ship would hold together. I remember the "boom, boom, boom" as the sea pounded against the ship.

A shipmate and I had a very stressful "watch" (20:00/24:00) in the radio room. We had to insert the legs of our chairs into pipe to keep from sliding around the room. Typing was more than a challenge. We held the typewriter carriage with our left hand while typing code with the right.

We thought our watch would never end, but it did and we stepped out on the deck and held on to the pyrotechnics box (used for storing flares and other emergency equipment). As we held on we learned a history lesson. The ocean water was furiously churning and when that happens the phosphorous in the water shines green. The phosphorous and the "white caps" alternated. First really low, followed by really high. Waves have
been estimated for this particular hurricane to have reached 70 feet with the 140 MPH winds mentioned above.

The next morning we discovered that the pyrotechnic box we had held on to had broken loose from the securing welds during the night and had slipped overboard!! Enough said about that!!

In addition to the WARRINGTON and the Coast Guard Cutters BEDLOE and JACKSON, this hurricane claimed the 136 foot long minesweeper USS YMS-409 which foundered and sank with all 33 on board lost. Further north, it also claimed the Lightship VINEYARD SOUND (LV-73), which was sunk with the loss of all 12 aboard (1) .

The hurricane and the sinking of the USS WARRINGTON are documented in the 1996 book The Dragon's Breath - Hurricane At Sea, written by Commander Robert A. Dawes, Jr. (a former Commanding Officer of the Warrington), and published by Naval Institute Press.

Ken Adams RM2/c
224 Blvd Des Pins
St. Augustine, FL 32080-6411
(904) 471-2855

A Brief History of Brazil

Brazil was officially "discovered" in 1500, when a fleet commanded by Portuguese diplomat Pedro Álvares Cabral, on its way to India, landed in Porto Seguro, between Salvador and Rio de Janeiro. (There is, however, strong evidence that other Portuguese adventurers preceded him. Duarte Pacheco Pereira, in his book De Situ Orbis, tells of being in Brazil in 1498, sent by King Manuel of Portugal.)

Brazil&aposs first colonizers were met by Tupinamba Indians, one group in the vast array of the continent&aposs native population. Lisbon&aposs early goals were simple: monopolize the lucrative trade of pau-brasil, the red wood (valued for making dye) that gave the colony its name, and establish permanent settlements. There&aposs evidence that the Indians and Portuguese initially worked together to harvest trees. Later, the need to head farther inland to find forested areas made the pau-brasil trade less desirable. The interest in establishing plantations on cleared lands increased and so did the need for laborers. The Portuguese tried to enslave Indians, but, unaccustomed to toiling long hours in fields and overcome by European diseases, many natives either fled far inland or died. (When Cabral arrived, the indigenous population was believed to have been more than 3 million today the number is scarcely more than 200,000.) The Portuguese then turned to the African slave trade for their workforce.

Although most settlers preferred the coastal areas (a preference that continues to this day), a few ventured into the hinterlands. Among them were Jesuit missionaries, determined men who marched inland in search of Indian souls to "save," and the infamous bandeirantes (flag bearers), tough men who marched inland in search of Indians to enslave. (Later they hunted escaped Indian and African slaves.)

For two centuries after Cabral&aposs discovery, the Portuguese had to periodically deal with foreign powers with designs on Brazil&aposs resources. Although Portugal and Spain had the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas -- which set boundaries for each country in their newly discovered lands -- the guidelines were vague, causing the occasional territory dispute. Further, England, France, and Holland didn&apost fully recognize the treaty, which was made by Papal decree, and were aggressively seeking new lands in pirate-ridden seas. Such competition made the Lusitanian foothold in the New World tenuous at times.

The new territory faced internal as well as external challenges. Initially, the Portuguese Crown couldn&apost establish a strong central government in the subcontinent. For much of the colonial period, it relied on "captains," low ranking nobles and merchants who were granted authority over captaincies, slices of land often as big as their motherland. By 1549 it was evident that most of the captaincies were failing. Portugal&aposs monarch dispatched a governor-general (who arrived with soldiers, priests, and craftspeople) to oversee them and to establish a capital (today&aposs Salvador) in the central captaincy of Bahia.

At the end of the 17th century, the news that fabulous veins of emeralds, diamonds, and gold had been found in Minas Gerais exploded in Lisbon. The region began to export 30,000 pounds of gold a year to Portugal. Bandeirantes and other fortune hunters rushed in from all over, and boat loads of carpenters, stonemasons, sculptors, and painters came from Europe to build cities in the Brazilian wilderness.

In 1763, the capital was moved to Rio de Janeiro for a variety of political and administrative reasons. The country had successfully staved off invasions by other European nations and it had roughly taken its current shape. It added cotton and tobacco to sugar, gold, and diamonds on its list of exports. As the interior opened so did the opportunities for cattle ranching. Still, Portugal&aposs policies tended toward stripping Brazil of its resources rather than developing a truly local economy. The arrival of the royal family, who were chased out of Portugal by Napoléon&aposs armies in 1808, initiated major changes.

The Empire and the Republic

As soon as Dom João VI and his entourage arrived in Rio, he began transforming the city and its environs. Building projects were set in motion, universities as well as a bank and a mint were founded, and investments were made in the arts. The ports were opened to trade with other nations, especially England, and morale improved throughout the territory. With the fall of Napoléon, Dom João VI returned to Portugal, leaving his young son, Pedro I, behind to govern. But Pedro had ideas of his own: he proclaimed Brazil&aposs independence on September 7, 1822, and established the Brazilian empire. Nine years later, following a period of internal unrest and costly foreign wars, the emperor stepped aside in favor of his five-year-old son, Pedro II. A series of regents ruled until 1840, when the second Pedro was 14 and Parliament decreed him "of age."

Pedro II&aposs daughter, Princess Isabel, officially ended slavery in 1888. Soon after, disgruntled landowners united with the military to finish with monarchy altogether, forcing the royal family back to Portugal and founding Brazil&aposs first republican government on November 15, 1889. A long series of easily forgettable presidents, backed by strong coffee and rubber economies, brought about some industrial and urban development during what&aposs known as the Old Republic. In 1930, after his running mate was assassinated, presidential candidate Getúlio Vargas seized power via a military coup rather than elections. In 1945 his dictatorship ended in another coup. He returned to the political scene with a populist platform and was elected president in 1951. However, halfway through his term, he was linked to the attempted assassination of a political rival with the military calling for his resignation, he shot himself.

The next elected president, Juscelino Kubitschek, a visionary from Minas Gerais, decided to replace the capital of Rio de Janeiro with a grand, new, modern one (symbolic of grand, new, modern ideas) that would be built in the middle of nowhere. True to the motto of his national development plan, "Fifty years in five," he opened the economy to foreign capital and offered credit to the business community. When Brasília was inaugurated in 1960, there wasn&apost a penny left in the coffers, but key sectors of the economy (such as the auto industry) were functioning at full steam. Still, turbulent times were ahead. Kubitschek&aposs successor Jânio Quadros, an eccentric, spirited carouser who had risen from high school teaching to politics, resigned after seven months in office. Vice-president João "Jango" Goulart, a Vargas man with leftist leanings, took office only to be overthrown by the military on March 31, 1964, after frustrated attempts to impose socialist reforms. Exiled in Uruguay, he died 13 years later.

Military Rule and Beyond

Humberto Castello Branco was the first of five generals (he was followed by Artur Costa e Silva, Emílio Mຝici, Ernesto Geisel, and João Figueiredo) to lead Brazil in 20 years of military rule that still haunt the nation. Surrounded by tanks and technocrats, the military brought about the "economic miracle" of the 1970s. However, it did not last. Their pharaonic projects -- from hydroelectric and nuclear power plants to the conquest of the Amazon -- never completely succeeded, and inflation soared. Power was to go peacefully back to civil hands in 1985.

All hopes were on the shoulders of Tancredo Neves, a 75-year-old democrat chosen to be president by an electoral college. But, just before his investiture, Neves was hospitalized for routine surgery he died of a general infection days later. An astounded nation followed the drama on TV. Vice-president José Sarney, a former ally of the military regime, took office. By the end of his five-year term, inflation was completely out of hand. Sarney did, however, oversee the writing of a new constitution, promulgated in 1988, and Brazil&aposs first free presidential elections in 30 years.

Fernando Collor de Mello, a debonair 40-year-old from the state of Alagoas, took office in March 1990. Dubbed "the maharajah hunter" (an allusion to his promises to rid the government of idle, highly paid civil servants), Mello immediately set about trying to control inflation (his first step was to block all savings accounts in Brazil). His extravagant economic plans only became clear two years later with the discovery of widespread corruption involving his friend and campaign manager Paulo César "P. C." Farias. After an impeachment process, Collor was ousted in December 1992, and Brazil&aposs leadership fell to Vice-President Itamar Franco. With his "Plano Real" Franco brought inflation under control.

In 1994, Franco was replaced by Fernando Henrique Cardoso, the former Secretary of the Treasury. Following the dictates of the International Monetary Fund, Cardoso brought about relative economic stability, but at the price of recession, cuts in health and educational programs, and a soaring national debt. His policy of selling state-owned industries -- from banks to mines to phone companies -- was riddled with irregular practices.

In October 1998, taking advantage of a constitutional amendment that he personally engineered allowing for reelection, Cardoso won a second term, running against Workers Party candidate Luis Inผio "Lula" da Silva. He based his campaign on propaganda that promised a return to economic growth and an end to unemployment. Cardoso managed to avoid draconian economic measures and a 35% currency devaluation until the day after the election. Then, new taxes and budget cuts were announced, recession settled in, and unemployment soared. In 1999, Cardoso&aposs popularity was at a record low, causing nationwide calls for his resignation. But Brazilians show amazing resilience even under political and economic stress. Recovery may be slow and difficult, but it&aposs almost impossible to lose faith in such a rich land. And in the midst of all the uncertainty, most Brazilians are sure about one thing: winning soccer&aposs 2002 soccer World Cup will be a cinch.

Born and raised in Minas Gerais, José Fonseca left Brazil at the start of the military dictatorship, earned a masters in journalism from the University of Kansas, and then spent over 10 years in Europe and West Africa before returning to Brazil. Working as a freelance environmental journalist and translator, he now lives in Porto Alegre with his anthropologist wife, children, and cats and dogs.

USS Edsall (DD-219)

USS Edsall (DD-219) was a Clemson class destroyer that served in the Middle East and Far East in the interwar period, then took part in the disasterous attempt to defend the Dutch East Indies before being sunk by overwhelming Japanese naval forces on 1 March 1942.

The Edsall was named after Norman Eckley Edsall, a sailor on the Philadelphia who was killed during an American intervention on Samoa on 1 April 1899.

The Edsall was launched at Cramp&rsquos of Philadelphia on 29 July 1920 and commissioned on 26 November 1920.

The Edsall&rsquos shakedown cruise took her from Philadelpha to San Diego, where she arrived on 11 January 1921. She spent the rest of 1921 on the west coast, taking part in battle practice and gunnery drills with the fleet. She then moved to Charleston, arriving on 28 December.

Her next assignment was to the Mediterranean, departing on 26 May 1922 as part of a flotilla that included the Bulmer, Litchfield (DD-336), Parrott (DD-218), MacLeish (DD-220), Simpson (DD-221) and McCormick (DD-223). The destroyers reached Gibraltar on 22 June and the Edsall arrived at Constantinople on 28 June. She joined the US Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters, with the task of protecting US lives during the civil war in Russia and the war between Greece and Turkey. She also took part in famine relief efforts in eastern Europe, and acted as a mail ship. She was one of a number of American ships that helped evacuate refugees during the great Smyrna fire of 1922. On 14 September she took on 607 refugees from the Litchfield (DD-336) and transported them from Smyrna to Salonika. On 16 September her commanding officer, Cmdr Halsey Powell, became the senior officer directing the evacuation from Smyrna. Eventually some 250,000 Greek refugees were evacuated, after the failed Greek attempt to conquer Constantinople and parts of western Anatolia.

Anyone who served on shore between 16 September and 2 October 1922 qualified for the Smyrna Expeditionary Medal.

On 1 June 1924 the Edsall and the Bulmer passed through the Strait of Gibraltar, heading west to the United States. She arrived at Boston on 26 July 1924, where she underwent an overhaul.

The Edsall&rsquos next assignment was to the Asiatic Fleet. She left the US east coast on 3 January 1925, and took part in exercises st Guantanamo Bay, San Diego and Pearl Harbor before she joined the Asiatic Fleet at Shanghai on 22 June 1925, in the aftermath of a period of turmoil in the city. In June-July 1925 she put landing parties ashore at Shanghai to protect US interests in the city. Anyone who took part qualified for the Shanghai Expeditonary Medal.

Anyone who served on her during one of fifteen periods between 16 January 1927 and 25 October 1932 qualified for the Yangtze Service Medal.

In 1931 she served with the Yangtze Patrol, during the Japanese occupation of Manchuria.

In 1935 she was one of a flotilla of destroyers that visited French Indochina.

In the autumn of 1937 she was part of the American fleet that moved to Shanghai to protect US interests during the Japanese attack on the city.

Anyone who served on her during four periods between 7 July 1937 and 4 September 1939 qualified for the China Service Medal.

Just before the outbreak of war in the Pacific, the Edsall was one of a number of Asiatic Fleet ships that were sent to Balikpapan on Borneo, to place them nearer to their potential Dutch and British allies. On 6 December she set sail for Batavia, along with the tender Black Hawk and the destroyers Whipple (DD-217), Alden (DD-211) and John D Edwards (DD-216), forming Destroyer Division 57. When news of the attack on Pearl Harbor arrived, the tender was ordered to Surabaya. The destroyers were sent to Singapore, where the plan was for them to cooperate with HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse, but those capital ships were sunk by Japanese air attack on 10 December. The US destroyers put to sea to try and find survivors from the disaster, but without success. The Edsell did capture a Japanese fishing trawler with four small boats in tow and escorted it to Singapore.

On 20 December the Houston left Surabaya, haeding for Darwin, Australia. Later on the same day the Houston joined up with the Edsall, Whipple (D-217) and Alden (DD-211). The combined fleet entered the Indian Ocean via the Alor Straits on 21 December, and escorted the auxiliaries Otus, Pecos and Gold Star to Darwin, arriving on 28 December 1941.

On 30 December the Houston, Edsall, Stewart (DD-224), Alden and Whipple put to sea heading for the Torres Strait, and a rendevous with a convoy coming from Hawaii.

On 30 December the Edsall put to sea once again, with the Houston, Stewart (DD-224), Alden, and Whipple, heading for the Torres Strait.

The small fleet reached Normanby Sound on 2 January 1942, met up with the convoy on 3 January and returned to Darwin on 5 January.

On 17 January the Edsall and Alden (DD-211) left Kebola Bay (Amor, Dutch East Indies), to escort the Trinity to Australia.

On 20 January 1942 the Edsall became the first US destroyer to sink a major Japanese submarine during the Second World War when she attacked I-124 with three Australian corvettes (HMAS Deloraine, Lithgow and Katooba), just off Darwin.

On 17 February she left Tjilatjap to escort the oiler USS Trinity (AO-13) on the first stage of a voyage to Iran to collect fuel oil. The Edsall was soon ordered back to port, leaving the Trinity to continue alone. She safely reached Abadan in Iran on 9 March, by which time the battle in the Dutch East Indies was already lost.

On 19 February the Edsall was damaged when one of her own depth charges exploded prematurely during an anti-submarine attack.

On 26 February the Edsall and Whipple left Tjilatjap to meet up with the former carrier Langley (AV-3), by now serving as an aircraft tender.

On 27 February the Langleymet up with the Edsall and the Whipple (DD-217). This soon proved to be an utterly inadequate screen. At 11.40 nine twin engine bombers attacked the formation. On the third attack the Langley took five hits. Aircraft on deck caught fire and her steering was damaged. She began to list to port, and was unable to get through the entrance to Tjilatjap Harbour. At 1332 the order was issued to abandon ship, and she was sunk by her escorts. The Whipple took up 308 survivors from the Langley and the Edsall picked up 177.

On 28 February the destroyers met up with the oiler Pecos (AO-6) off Flying Fish Cove on Christmas Island. The initial attempts to transfer the survivors from the Langley to the Edsall were interrupted by Japanese bombers, but the task was completed on 1 March. The Edsall then departed for Tjilatap.

The Edsall never reached her destination, disappearing somewhere on the voyage. At the time the fate of the Edsall and the Pillsbury, also lost at the same time, was unclear. By 24 March the Edsall was being reported as missing and presumed lost, with her last known location in the waters south of Java.

Japanese reports say that she was attacked by four battleships from the 3rd Battleship squadron (including Hiei and Kirishima), two cruisers from Cruiser Division 8 and two bombers from the carrier Soryu. The Edsall ended up trailing behind the Japanese fleet, raising concerns that she was part of a more powerful force. The Japanese thus attacked with a powerful force, overwhelming the solitary destroyer. Eight survivors were rescued by the Chikuma, but were later murdered in prison camps. Her last moments were recorded from the Tone, and part of the film still survives.

Edsall received two battle stars for World War II service, for service with the Asiatic Fleet (8 December 1941-1 March 1942 and sinking I-124 (20 January 1942).

History of Springfield

Did you know that there are 85 places in 35 states named Springfield? Or so says Dan Tilque in "Common Place names" published in "Word Ways: The Journal of Recreational Linguistics," (Morristown, N.J.). Fairfax County has had its share of Springfieldsat least two in the 18th century disappeared. In 1742 the area around Tyson's Corner where the first Fairfax Courthouse was built was known as Springfield; and George Mason's friend and neighbor on Mason Neck, Martin Cockburn, named his farm Springfield.

But the place we call Springfield today had its roots in the 19th century. The name "Springfield" originated with Henry Daingerfield who, in January 1851, acquired 920 acres in the vicinity of where Backlick Road crosses the Southern Railroad tracks. This land today is partially occupied by Shirley Industrial Park and the intersection between Routes 95, 395 and the Beltway. He named his land "Springfield Farm."

Daingerfield, a prominent Alexandria businessman and land speculator, was a director of the newly organized (1848) Orange and Alexandria Railroad. In July 1851 the railroad laid track across his recently acquired land. To service his farm, Daingerfield put a station depot on the south side of the track east of Backlick Road approximately where the Virginia Railway Express commuter station now stands.

Henry Daingerfield influenced placenames in several locations. He was a "Commissioner" who promoted the creation of a canal between Alexandria and Georgetown in 1830. The canal was dug through his land. An area between Alexandria and Reagan National Airport, close to where the canal passed, is still known as Daingerfield Island. A short road near Union Station in Alexandria bears his name, as does a road in Prince Georges County, Maryland, near Poplar Hill, also known as His Lordships Kindness, where Daingerfield died in 1866.

In 1865, the year before Daingerfield's death, the Springfield train station was sold to Timothy Murphy, a recent immigrant from Ireland. The following year Murphy was named Postmaster of the Springfield post official position he held until 1868 when the post office was moved to Annandale. Murphy probably replaced the original station with a house shortly after. A new post office at the Springfield site, but named "Corbett" after the landowner at the time, was created in 1907. The name reverted back to Springfield in 1910.

After Daingerfield's death the farm was divided between his wife, Eliza Johnson Daingerfield, and her son, Henry (II). The "dower" or widow's portion that went to Eliza lay north of the dower line, now Industrial Road, to Edsall Road. Henry (II) received land south of the dower line to about the location of Essex Street. The land extended east to approximately the modern location of Frontier Drive. Henry (II) and his wife, Virginia, added to their portion a number of acres west of the tract. He built a house just south of the dower line and north of the railroad in 1893, but he died before living there.

Today the Guiffre Distributing Company occupies that space. Eventually, William Worth Smith from Fauquier County acquired a large portion of the land around the railroad tracks, now owned by the Southern Railroad. Smith ensconced his family on the land his daughter and her husband got the old Daingerfield house. In 1909, two years after the post office returned to the Springfield location, Jennie L. Smith, probably William Worth's sisterinlaw, became the postmistress. William Worth's daughter, Eugenia Smith Brookfield, became postmistress when her aunt retired in 1919. She served until 1949.

The Springfield Post Office, originally in a small frame building built around 1919 on the north side of the track, was moved to a shopping center at Old Keene Mill and Backlick Roads in 1953. In 1958, the current post office was moved to a new building at Brookfield Plaza. The railroad station was demolished in 1963.

When the corridor for the newly proposed Shirley Highway was identified running right through what once had been Daingerfield's farm, Vernon Lynch, a pig farmer from Annandale, bought land on both sides of the right-of-way.

He created Springvale, the oldest Springfield subdivision in 1947. That same year Edward R. Carr acquired 3,600 acres, some of it from Lynch, and built Lynbrook and Yates Village south of the Southern railway tracks. Mass production building techniques enabled Bernard Steinberg and Carl Hengen to build 1,200 homes in Crestwood that was also once Daingerfield property. By 1958 over 15,000 people were living in approximately 4,000 homes in a place called Springfield.

Today the unincorporated Springfield has spread far beyond Henry Daingerfield's farm and includes more than 50,000 people in residential subdivisions with schools, churches, shopping centers, malls and connecting roads. What began as a private railroad station on a remote rural farm over 150 years ago became a post office that provided a name for a post World War II suburban community that grew and thrived because of entrepreneurial energy, Shirley highway, mass produced automobiles and affordable housing made possible by the Federal Housing Authority. Daingerfield would probably have been very pleased.

A Springfield resident, Jack Hiller is a historian, educator, lecturer and member of the Fairfax County History Commission.

Reprinted with permission from the author and the Chronicle Newspapers from the August 2005 edition.


This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

    Clemson Class Destroyer
    Keel Laid September 15 1919 - Launched July 29 1920

Naval Covers

This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.


This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.

Edsall Park

Edsall Park is located off of Braddock Road conveniently located in Springfield, Virginia. Our community is in close proximity to the mixing bowl (I-395, I-495, I-95), the Springfield Metro, Springfield Town Center, and lots of shopping, dining, and recreation options. There are around 400 homes. The homes range between split level and ranch styles. The neighborhood is constantly changing and has a varied mix of residents.

Edsall Park was built beginning in late 1956 and officially opened on January 12, 1957 when the model homes at the south corners of Edsall Road and Montgomery Street were opened for showing. The homes were all built by the Crestwood Construction Corporation (at the time located at 4415 Wilson Blvd. Arlington, VA), who were in business from 1946 up until the corporation was dissolved in 1988. The president of the company was Bernard Steinberg, Vice-President was Mrs. Verna Hengen, and the Secretary-Treasurer was Mr. E. Carl Hengen. The various home designs were previously built in other Springfield neighborhood's earlier in the 1950's.

Este numărul atomic al unbienniumului, un element încă nedescoperit.

AGM-129 ACM (Advanced Cruise Missile) a fost o rachetă de croazieră subsonică produsă de General Dynamics.

Submarinul sovietic K-129 (1960) a fost un submarin nuclear al Flotei Sovietice din Pacific care s-a scufundat în 1968.

Nave militare americane: USNS Mission San Miguel (T-AO-129) USS Donald W. Wolf (APD-129) USS Edsall (DE-129) USS Marvin H. McIntyre (APA-129) USS Phobos (AK-129) USS Vital (AM-129).

Agusta A129 Mangusta este un elicopter de atac/antitanc modern, utilizat de Italia.

LZ 129 Hindenburg (Deutsches Luftschiff Zeppelin #129 înregistrare: D-LZ 129) a fost un dirijabil german de mari dimensiuni destinat transportului comercial de pasageri.

Sonetul 129 (Sonnet 129) este unul dintre cele 154 de sonete scrise de William Shakespeare și publicat în 1609. Este considerat unul dintre sonetele Dark Lady.

129 AH este un an din calendarul islamic care corespunde cu 746–747 CE.

Rezoluția 129 a Consiliului de Securitate ONU a fost adoptată în unanimitate la 7 august 1958, într-o sesiune specială de urgență a Adunării Generale. Rezoluția afirmă că aceasta a avut loc ca urmare a lipsei de unanimitate a membrilor săi permanenți la cele 834 și 837 de ședințe ale consiliului, care i-au împiedicat să își exercite responsabilitatea principală pentru menținerea păcii și securității internaționale. Β]

Watch the video: Inklusion im Museum: GESCHICHTE INKLUSIVE im LWL-Industriemuseum Zeche Zollern LWL-Kultur (June 2022).