We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Janet Graham married Raymond Leddy, a senior figure in the Central Intelligence Agency while he was serving in Venezuela. Over the next few years she gave birth to five children.
In 1957 Leddy was sent to Mexico City as chief political officer as the US Embassy. This enabled him to renew his friendship with Winston Scott, who was now CIA's station chief in Mexico. The two men had been together in Cuba during the Second World War.
Janet Leddy became close friends with Scott's wife, Paula Murray Scott. However, in 1961 Janet began an affair with Winston Scott. When discovered what was going on, Raymond Leddy took a job at the Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Brian Bell, who worked under Leddy: "It was too bad because he was one of the most competent political officers I ever met in the Foreign Service."
Paula Murray Scott also discovered about the affair and began drinking heavily. On 12th September, 1962, Paula was found dead in her home. Her death certificate said that she had died of a "heart attack intestinal tuberculosis". As Jefferson Morley points out: "That contradictory diagnosis was not what a physician would have written. Paula did have intestinal tuberculosis, but such a condition could not have caused death." Later evidence emerged that suggested that she either committed suicide or was murdered. Whatever happened, Scott would have had little difficulty in arranging for a Mexican doctor to say that his wife died of a heart attack.
Janet Leddy immediately obtained a divorce and in December 1962 became Winston Scott's third wife. One of Paula's friends at the Chapultepec Golf Club commented: "It was like he married the motive." Thomas C. Mann, David Atlee Phillips, Adolfo Lopez Mateos and Diaz Ordaz attended the wedding.
Leddy filed suit against his wife in a Mexican court for "abandonment". He demanded custody of their five children. He also tried unsuccessfully to use his influence in the State Department to have Winston Scott transferred back to the United States.
In June 1969 Richard Helms presented Winston Scott with the Distinguished Intelligence Medal. He was also told he was being moved back to Washington. Scott refused the post and decided to retire from the agency. Bill Broe, the CIA division chief argued that "Win's retirement didn't have anything to do with the events of October 1968."
Winston Scott remained in Mexico City and along with Ferguson Dempster set up a company called Diversified Corporate Services. Dempster remarked: "We established ourselves as consultants for people who wanted to do business in Mexico. However, Thomas C. Mann claimed that Scott was running "his own personal intelligence organization... The Mexicans wanted to use his expertise and knowledge of Mexico, especially the intelligence side of it."
He also wrote a memoir about his time in the FBI, OSS and the CIA. He completed the manuscript, It Came To Little, and made plans to discuss the contents of the book with CIA director, Richard Helms, in Washington on 30th April, 1971. Scott told John Horton, the chief of the CIA station in Mexico City, that he would not be talked out of publishing the book.
Winston Scott died on 26th April, 1971. No autopsy was performed, and a postmortem suggested he had suffered a heart attack. When Anne Goodpasture heard the news of Scott’s death she went straight to James Angleton to tell him that Scott had classified documents in his home safe (Scott had tapes and photos of Oswald).
Angleton visited Scott's wife in Mexico City on 28th April. Michael Scott, Winston Scott's son, told Dick Russell that James Angleton took away his father's manuscript. Angleton also confiscated three large cartons of files including a tape-recording of the voice of Lee Harvey Oswald. Michael Scott was also told by a CIA source that his father had not died from natural causes.
Michael Scott eventually got his father's manuscript back from the CIA. However, 150 pages were missing. Chapters 13 to 16 were deleted in their entirety. In fact, everything about his life after 1947 had been removed on grounds of national security.
Leddy Surname History
The surname Leddy was first found in Cavan, where they held a family seat as a Dalcasian sept, chiefs in Thomond. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest of England, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland, Wales and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name is descended from a celebrated Munster chieftain, Lidhda, who died fighting beside King Brian Boru in the Battle of Clontarf in 1014.
Surname History Download (PDF) - Letter Size
Early History of the Leddy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leddy research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1058, 1122, and 1171 are included under the topic Early Leddy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leddy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Liddy, O'Liddy, Leddy, Leidy, O'Leidy, Litty, Liddie, Liddee and many more.
Early Notables of the Leddy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Leddy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leddy migration +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leddy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mick Leddy, who arrived in America in 1812 
- Michael Leddy, who arrived at Philadelphia in 1813
- Michael Leddy, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 
- James Leddy, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1818
- Bernard Leddy, who landed in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1854 
- . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Leddy migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leddy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Leddy, who was recorded in Montreal in 1820
- James Leddy, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1844
- Ms. Mary Leddy who was emigrating through Grosse Isle Quarantine Station, Quebec aboard the ship "Emigrant" departing 11th August 1847 from Liverpool, England the ship arrived on 3rd October 1847 but she died on board 
- Mr. Robert Leddy, aged 45 who was emigrating through Grosse Isle Quarantine Station, Quebec aboard the ship "Emigrant" departing 11th August 1847 from Liverpool, England the ship arrived on 3rd October 1847 but he died on board 
Leddy migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Chronology of James B. Eddie
Janet Groat started this chronology of James B. Eddie. I have revised it somewhat based on family stories.
born Elgin Scotland 1860 Mary Margaret Leddy said his family ran a coach service between Elgin and Edinburgh.
University of Edinburgh. [S.F. Chronicle says he was a Baptist before he became a Congregational minister.>
He heard Livingston speak and very much admired him which led him to go to Africa. [Livingston died in 1873, so this might not be true].
1884 Serving at Equator Station in Congo under the auspices of the Livingstone Inland Mission founded by H. Grattan Guinness
He left Africa after contracting malaria and went to Italy (Florence) for a year to recover before returning to Scotland, marrying Margaret Charleson (from Inverness) and immigrating to the U.S.
1887 Published vocabulary in Edinburgh [see my post on this. the book is still available]
1888 or 1890 First came to U.S.: census data is contradictory. (Pre-dates Ellis Island records, so no help there.)
The San Francisco Chronicle [see my entry on Raised in the Priesthood] says he was raised a Baptist but became Congregational and served s minister in Oakland and Richmond before he became an episcopalian and then served in Hayward for one year fefor becoming ordained in 1896.
Entered the Episcopalian seminary in San Francisco and became a minister there.
1891 Travels on Anchoria to Scotland from New York arrives Aug. 4
1892 Hamish born in California
1893 Married Margaret Charleson [did he marry her after Hamish was born?]
1895-6 episcopal diaconate in charge of mission in Haywards [sic probably Hayward]
1896, Feb. 29 Ordained at St. Paul's Church, Episcopalian
1896 Margaret Eddie born in San Francisco
1896 In Carson City as Pastor Episcopal Church
1900-1906? Salt Lake City as Dean of St, Narks Cathedral Salt Lake City "St. Mark's Cathedral, in Salt Lake City, was built by Bishop Tuttle in 1870.
The Very Rev. James B. Eddie has been dean since Easter, 1900." The Mountain Empire Utah 1904. He was also Vice-Rector and Chaplain of Rowland Hall, a college preparatory school attached to the Cathedral. This taken from Utah As It Is.
The University dates to the founding of the Roman Catholic Assumption College in Windsor, Ontario in 1857.  Assumption College, a primarily theological institution, was founded by the Society of Jesuits in 1857. The Basilian Fathers assumed control of the college in 1870. The college grew steadily, expanding its curriculum and affiliating with several other colleges over the years. 
In 1919, Assumption College in Windsor affiliated with the University of Western Ontario.  Originally, Assumption was one of the largest colleges associated with the University of Western Ontario. Escalating costs forced Assumption University, a denominational university, to become a public institution to qualify for public support.  It was granted university status in 1953. 
In 1950, Assumption College welcomed its first women students. In 1953, through an Act of the Ontario Legislature, Assumption College received its own university powers, and ended its affiliation with the University of Western Ontario. In 1956, the institution's name was changed to Assumption University of Windsor, by an Act of the Ontario Legislature, with Reverend Eugene Carlisle LeBel, C.S.B. named as its first President.  The recently created non-denominational Essex College, led by Frank A. DeMarco, became an affiliate, with responsibility for the Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, as well as the Schools of Business Administration and Nursing. (Essex College's Arms and Badge were registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority on March 15, 2007.) 
In the early 1960s, the City of Windsor's growth and demands for higher education led to further restructuring. A petition was made to the Province of Ontario for the creation of a non-denominational University of Windsor by the board of governors and regents of Assumption University and the board of directors of Essex College.  The University of Windsor came into existence through its incorporation under an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario on December 19, 1962. The transition from an historic Roman Catholic university to a non-denominational provincial university was an unprecedented development. 
On July 1, 1963, the entire campus with all of its facilities and faculty became known as the University of Windsor. As a 'federated member', Assumption University remained as an integrated institution, granting degrees only in its Faculty of Theology.  Father Eugene Carlisle LeBel from Assumption became the inaugural president of the University of Windsor, and Frank A. DeMarco, who had been holding both positions of Principal, as well as Dean of Applied Science at Essex College, became the inaugural Vice President. The University's coats of arms were designed by heraldic expert Alan Beddoe. 
Six months later, Assumption University of Windsor made affiliation agreements with Holy Redeemer College (now Académie Sainte-Cécile), Canterbury College and the new Iona College (affiliated with the United Church of Canada). Canterbury College became the first Anglican college in the world to affiliate with a Roman Catholic University.  
In 1964, when E.C. LeBel retired, Dr. John Francis Leddy was appointed President of the University of Windsor, and presided over a period of significant growth. From 1967 to 1977, Windsor grew from approximately 1,500 to 8,000 full-time students. In the 1980s and early 1990s, this growth continued. Among the new buildings erected were the Odette Business Building and the CAW Student Centre.
Enrolment reached record heights in Fall 2003 with the elimination of Grade 13 (Ontario Academic Credit) in Ontario. The university has developed a number of partnerships with local businesses and industry, such as the University of Windsor/Chrysler Canada Ltd. Automotive Research and Development Centre and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. 
|QS World ||701–751|
|Times World ||601–800|
|U.S News & World Report Global ||1049|
|QS National ||24|
|Times National ||22–26|
|U.S News & World Report National ||28|
|Maclean's Comprehensive ||14|
Windsor offers more than 120 majors and minors and 55 master's and doctoral degree programs across nine faculties: 
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Science
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
University of Windsor also provides Inter-Faculty Programs offering cross-departmental majors like Forensics, Environmental studies and Arts & Science concentration. There are nine cooperative education programs for 1,100 students.
The Faculty of Law is one of six in Ontario, and has a major teaching and research focus on Social Justice and Access to Justice issues. It publishes two law journals, the Faculty led Access to Justice and the student run, peer-reviewed Windsor Review of Legal and Social Issues.
The faculty offers a variety of courses reflecting its research focus. Law students may study Human Rights Law, Poverty Law, Aboriginal rights law and legal issues affecting women, minorities and children. There is also a strong research emphasis on criminal law, with many notable Faculty of Law professors having extensive experience both in academics and during their careers when on trial. The faculty, in conjunction with Legal Aid Ontario, runs a downtown Windsor community legal clinic called Legal Assistance Windsor staffed with supervising lawyers, law students, and social workers it is aimed at meeting the legal needs of low-income residents and people traditionally denied access to justice. This clinic operates in all areas of law that affect those it is mandated to serve, including landlord and tenant law.
The University of Windsor runs a second legal clinic, Community Legal Aid, at the corner of Sunset and University. This clinic is a Student Legal Aid Services Society (SLASS) clinic, which is staffed primarily by volunteer law students and overseen by supervising lawyers, called review counsel. This clinic operates primarily in the areas of criminal law, landlord and tenant law, and small claims court. The clinic offers free legal services to those who qualify financially, as well as all students of the University of Windsor.
The faculty also has a joint, ABA-Approved J.D.degree program with the University of Detroit Mercy. The program is completed in three years with students taking courses at both the University of Windsor and the University of Detroit Mercy. Upon completion students earn both Canadian and American legal accreditation and can pursue licensing in any Province in Canada (aside from civil law in Quebec) and any state in the United States of America.
The University of Windsor's philosophy department is known for its work in informal logic, and regularly hosts an international argumentation conference through the Ontario Society for the Study of Argumentation.  Students, faculty, and visiting researchers collaborate in the inter-departmental research group the Centre for Research in Reasoning, Argumentation, and Rhetoric.  As of 2016, the University of Windsor offers an interdisciplinary PhD in Argumentation Studies, the only graduate program in North America with a focus on this field. 
As of 2008, the University of Windsor is also home to a satellite campus of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry of the University of Western Ontario.
Located in Canada's traditional "automotive capital" across the border from Detroit, the campus is near the United States and its busy port of entry to and from the United States. It is framed by the Ambassador Bridge to the west and the Detroit River to the north.
The campus covers 51 hectares (130 acres) (contiguous) and is surrounded by a residential neighborhood. The campus features a small arboretum, which represents most of the species from the Carolinian forest. Campus is approximately a 10-minute drive from downtown Windsor. The University has moved some academic programs to the downtown core, including Social Work, the Executive and Professional Education program, Music and Fine Arts. Due to its historical roots in multiple religious institutions, the university's campus has many examples of Christian architecture in addition to its modern flagship buildings like the $10-million dollar Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre. 
The War Memorial Hall (more generally known as Memorial Hall) is a landmark building used as classrooms, labs, and offices. Memorial Hall honours alumni who had enlisted and died in the First World War, and in the Second World War. A bronze tablet remembers the alumni of Assumption College who died in the Second World War. 
The Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre (formerly the “Innovation Centre”) is located on the main campus, on the south side of Wyandotte street.  This building houses the EPICentre, and WEtech Alliance. The EPICentre (Entrepreneurship, Practice, and Innovation Centre) is a University of Windsor organization focused on providing students and alumni with the expertise and resources necessary to pursue entrepreneurial goals. The EPICentre is part of the Ontario Centres of Excellence and provides education, mentorship, office space and varying levels of funding to help support startup business.  WEtech Alliance is a similar organization, also being an Ontario Centre of Excellence, whose main focus is to support technology startup companies. They provide services to technology startups in the Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent regions, not exclusively to students and alumni from the University of Windsor. 
The CAW Student Centre is the main, comprehensive centre servicing all student needs. It houses a large food court and the main campus bookstore. Also within the CAW Centre: Student Health Services, a dental office, counselling services, a photographer, a pharmacy, the University of Windsor Students' Alliance (UWSA), a Multi-Faith Space, the campus community radio station CJAM-FM, and an information desk. A large public area beside the food court is available for clubs and informational booths to be set up on certain days. For example, during October there is a period where many Canadian law schools set up booths with representatives who answer questions and provide information to undergraduate students.
The St. Denis Centre, at the south end of campus on College Avenue, is the major athletic and recreational facility for students. It has a weight room, exercise facilities, and a swimming pool. The new South Campus Stadium built for the 2005 Pan American Junior Games is beside the St. Denis Centre - which also has dressing rooms for Lancer teams - and borders Huron Church Road, the major avenue to and from the border crossing.  The athletics department has become well known for Track & Field, and Men and Women's Basketball.
In February 2018, the university announced plans to build a new athletic centre, titled the Lancer Sport and Recreation Centre. The new facility will cost $73 million and be 130,000-square-feet. Unlike the current St. Dennis Centre, there will be many separate sections of the facility to host different athletic resources such as a new gymnasium, pool, fitness gym and many multi-purpose rooms, as opposed to a single general-purpose space.  Construction for the facility began in October, 2018. 
In June 2019, a new research facility opened up on the campus. The new facility, called the Essex Centre of Research (or CORe) is built on to the south side of the existing Essex Hall science facility. It is an open concept 46,000-square-feet facility, featuring state-of-the-art labs and will primarily be used as a research facility. 
The Leddy Library is the main campus library for the University of Windsor. The library's collection consists of over 3 million items including electronic resources holdings of over 17,000 electronic titles and several hundred thousand data sets. The Scholarship at UWindsor institutional repository provides open access to thousands of electronic theses, dissertations, and faculty publications from the University of Windsor.
The Leddy Library is named in honour of John Francis Leddy, former president of the University of Windsor. Dr. Leddy was born in Ottawa, Ontario on April 16, 1911, but grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
International students from nearly 100 countries make up approximately 23% of the student population. 
|Male  ||47.2%||55.8%|
|Female  ||52.8%||44.2%|
|Canadian student ||92.3%||40.1%|
|International student ||7.7%||59.9%|
Despite the large number of international students, the majority of students are domestic and come from Windsor and Essex County. 
Greek Life on campus is smaller at the University, but includes one International Fraternity: Sigma Chi one International Sorority: Delta Zeta, and one National Sorority: Delta Alpha Theta.
All full-time undergraduate students are members of the University of Windsor Students' Alliance and possess a health and dental plan coverage as well as access to The Thirsty Scholar, a newspaper, and a radio station.
In addition to the newspaper The Lance, which is partially funded by the UWSA and provides stories written by student volunteers, student at the University of Windsor publish several independent publications. The Student Movement is a grassroots, independent, student run paper providing a critical discourse towards administration and the UWSA. The Issue is a student run electronic publication covering international social justice issues.
Leddy Library is the main campus library. The Paul Martin Law Library serves the Faculty of Law. The Canadian Auto Workers Union helped to build the CAW Student Centre which is a central meeting place for students. The University has a unique agreement with the Ambassador Duty-Free Store at Canada's busiest border crossing which provides student jobs, 400 parking spaces, and an annual cash annuity to the school.
Students also take advantage of the downtown area conveniently down the street. From restaurants to printing shops, to Bubble Tea Cafés, there are a variety of shops of interest to students.
The University houses students in four residence halls on campus.
Alumni Hall is home to Beyond First Year and First Year students (coming directly from High School). Alumni Hall has co-ed floors and it is a suite-style residence where suites have two bedrooms that share a kitchenette, and three-piece bathroom. Beyond First Year students are not assigned in the same suite as First Year students (coming directly from High School).
Cartier Hall is home to First Year undergraduate students (coming directly from High School). Cartier Hall has co-ed floors, two students share one room and four students share one washroom.
Laurier Hall is home to Beyond First Year students. Laurier Hall has single rooms on single gender and/or co-ed floors.
MacDonald Hall is home to First Year undergraduate students (coming directly from High School). MacDonald has co-ed floors with double rooms and limited single rooms.
The University is represented in U Sports by the Windsor Lancers. The Lancers play within the Ontario University Athletics conference. The University of Windsor Stadium plays host to a variety of intercollegiate sports including
- Outdoor track and field
- Inner-tube Water-polo
- Ball Hockey
- European Handball
- Flag Football
- Table Tennis
- Indoor Rugby
- Windsor Lancers Ice Hockey team plays at the South Windsor Arena. 
The University joined Project Hero, a scholarship program cofounded by General (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, for the families of fallen Canadian Forces members. 
The University established Rosa Schreiber Award with the assistance of former University of Windsor Professor Economics, Alan A. Brown. From the University's Senate Committee on Student Awards: The competition award is open to Arts or Social Science students in Year 2 or beyond. Applicants must submit a 1,500-2,000 word essay on some aspect of moral courage. Submission must be made to the Office of Student Awards. This competition will be held in alternate years. It was established in 1995 to honour Rosa Schreiber, an Austrian Freedom Fighter who risked her life to help others during World War II.
The University's President is Dr. Rob Gordon. He took office on September 1, 2019, as the President and Vice-Chancellor.
It is a member of the National Conference of Canadian Universities and Colleges, the University Articulation Board of Ontario, the International Association of Universities, and the Association of the British Commonwealth.  The Lance (Student Newspaper) is a member of CUP.
John M. Leddy
John Marshall Leddy (June 29, 1914 – August 31, 1997)  was an official in the United States Department of State, who mainly focused on U.S. trade policy.
John M. Leddy was born in Chicago and raised in Miami Beach, Florida. After high school, Leddy took a short business course in Miami, Florida, and then, in 1933, moved to Washington, D.C. to live with an aunt. During this time, Leddy worked at the Home Owners' Loan Corporation and later the Pan American Union during the day and took classes at Georgetown University at night. At the Pan American Union, he worked in the division of financial and economic information, specializing in economic information about Latin America.
After college, Leddy took a job with the Trade Agreements Division of the United States Department of State in 1941. His work initially focused on U.S. trade with Peru and Mexico. He then worked with State Department lawyer Marc Catudal, an expert on the most favored nation clause, on the legal framework for trade agreements.
After World War II, Leddy worked with the Trade Agreements Committee, an interagency committee that was involved in developing U.S. postwar trade policy, in particular the negotiation of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and the creation of the International Trade Organization in 1947. He worked at the Department of State on trade issues until 1958. He then spent a few years at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.
In 1961, President of the United States John F. Kennedy named Leddy as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs. On October 2, 1962, President Kennedy appointed Leddy as United States Ambassador to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Leddy held this post until June 15, 1965. President Lyndon B. Johnson nominated him as Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs in 1965, with Leddy holding this office from June 16, 1965, until February 19, 1969.
U.S. Department of the Treasury
On January 26, 2021, Janet Yellen was sworn in as the 78th Secretary of the Treasury of the United States. An economist by training, she took office after almost fifty years in academia and public service. She is the first person in American history to have led the White House Council of Economic Advisors, the Federal Reserve, and the Treasury Department.
Janet Louise Yellen was born in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn in 1946. Her mother, Anna Ruth, was an elementary school teacher while her father, Julius, worked as a family physician, treating patients out of the ground floor of the family’s brownstone.
In 1967, Secretary Yellen graduated from Brown University and went on to earn her PhD at Yale. She was an assistant professor at Harvard until 1976 when she began working at the Federal Reserve Board. There, in the Fed’s cafeteria, she met fellow economist, George Akerlof. Janet and George would marry later that year. They would go on to have a son, Robert, now also an economics professor.
In 1980, Secretary Yellen joined the faculty of the University of California at Berkeley, where she became the Eugene E. and Catherine M. Trefethen Professor of Business and Professor of Economics. She is Professor Emeritus at the university.
Secretary Yellen’s scholarship has focused on a range of issues pertaining to labor and macroeconomics. Her work on “efficiency wages” with her husband George Akerlof studied why firms often choose to pay more than the minimum needed to hire employees. These businesses, they found, are often making a wise decision. Firms that offer better pay and working conditions tend to be rewarded with higher morale, reduced turnover and greater productivity.
In 1994, President Bill Clinton appointed then-Dr. Yellen to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. Three years later, he named her Chair of the White House Council of Economic Advisers.
In 2004, Secretary Yellen began her third tenure at the Federal Reserve, this time as President of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. From that post, she spotted a worrying economic trend – a bubble in home values. When the housing bubble popped in 2008, Secretary Yellen helped manage the resulting financial crisis and recession. In 2010, President Barack Obama, appointed her Vice Chair of the Federal Reserve, before nominating her to succeed Fed Chair Benjamin Bernanke as the nation’s top central banker. Secretary Yellen would serve as Chair of the Federal Reserve from 2014 until 2018.
On December 1, 2020, then-President-elect Biden nominated Dr. Janet Yellen to the post of Treasury Secretary. “She has spent her career focused on unemployment and the dignity of work,” he said, “She understands what it means to people and their communities when they have good, decent jobs.”
Prior to serving at the Treasury Department, Secretary Yellen was a Distinguished Fellow in Residence with the Economic Studies Program at the Brookings Institution. During 2020-2021 she served as President of the American Economic Association. She is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Council on Foreign Relations. She was also a founding member of the Climate Leadership Council.
Secretary Yellen has served on the advisory boards of the Bloomberg New Economic Forum, the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget and Fix the Debt Coalition (CRFB), and the Washington Center for Equitable Growth Steering Committee. She was elected to the Yale Corporation as an alumni fellow in 2000, serving until 2006.
Dr. Yellen has received honorary doctorates from Bard College, Brown, the London School of Economics, NYU, the University of Baltimore, the University of Michigan, the University of Warwick and Yale from which she also received the Wilbur Cross Medal for distinguished achievements in scholarship, teaching, academic administration, and public service.
Here Lies Leddy: Haunted Tales from Euharlee
Euharlee is a small and unassuming town in North Georgia with a history so dark that it left the town haunted for decades.
Life in rural Georgia is typically calm and unassuming.
For hundreds of years, people have sought the solitude and peace of the Northwest Georgia countryside, and with for good reason. The stars are in full view on clear nights and without the noise of a city, it’s ideal for those seeking a simple lifestyle. But much like the rest of the world, Georgia has a long history of darkness and sometimes that darkness leaves something behind.
When driving through, if you blink you may miss the sights of Euharlee, Ga. The city center consists of a mercantile, a tiny courthouse, museum, library and a covered bridge.
Much like the surrounding cities, Euharlee is scarred with the remnants of the Civil War. Union General William T. Sherman’s infamous march through Georgia led him and his 130,000 troops through Cartersville and straight into Euharlee. Trenches and artifacts can be found scattered throughout the area, but Sherman set up camp in the heart of Euharlee on a bit of land now known as Tilley Mill.
Joe and Betty Jane Tilley bought the property in 1994 and as tradition would have it, the name of the mill changed to match the new keepers.
The mill is in ruins now, but the Tilley’s transformed the area into an event space. With the influx of people to witness strange happenings and unexplained phenomena, it was only a matter of time before the passing around of a few unsettling stories.
Claims of supernatural encounters have come from the mill for years and it seems that whoever – or whatever – is around that property wants to make sure that the living know that they aren’t alone.
According to Betty Jane, the Rogers family built the original mill prior to the civil war around 1848. Across the path lies Mount Zion Cemetery, which as old – if not older – than the mill. After purchasing the property, the Tilley’s had the grounds surveyed and Mount Zion cemetery was discovered.
“There are three tombstones there and one of them is a tombstone of Leddy Rogers,” explains Betty Jane.
Later, a friend, who has asked to remain nameless, was sent out by the Genealogical Society of Bartow County to gather information on the cemetery for the county records. Betty Jane says, “he found the Leddy Rogers tombstone and he happened to be by himself. He told us that he usually brings his wife with him. It was a hot August day and he was leaning over to get the information off the tombstone and suddenly a white cloth went across his brow and it got dark. He whirled around but he didn’t see anything. So, he tried straightening up the tombstone and again the same thing happened. It was like a white cloth went across his brow.”
This experience was rattled him, to say the least, but the man did not feel the need to share his experience with the property owners. Betty Jane continues, “Joe had gone over to the cemetery by himself after all of this and the same thing happened to him. He was trying to straighten up the tombstone because the surveyor had come to us and told us that the tombstone had shifted from its original location. All he said was, ‘you need to straighten it up’ and he didn’t tell us anything else. Well, Joe had the same experience, this white cloth went across his brow and he jumped up and got out of there.”
It wasn’t until later when the surveyor was giving a presentation about the cemetery that they discovered both men had shared in this encounter with Leddy Rogers’s tomb.
Betty Jane herself has never experienced anything supernatural at the gravesite and claims that Leddy, “seems to only make her presence known to the men.”
But Leddy isn’t the only being to worry about in those woods.
Local boy scout troops often find their way to Tilley Mill to camp and assist the owners in maintaining the property, including the cemetery and an old bridge that crosses Euharlee Creek. Author Corinna Underwood published a book “Haunted History: Atlanta and North Georgia” after a visit to Tilley Mill and the cover of the book is General Sherman crossing the bridge on that piece of property. Betty Jane recalls Underwood as a ghost enthusiast who, “vowed and declared that our whole location was full of ghosts.”
According to those boy scouts, Underwood may have a true sense about the supernatural. Multiple groups have claimed to hear the rattling of chains under and around the bridge during the night. With the violent history surrounding the area, it’s not surprising that even without their voices, those left behind after the war might still be trying to tell the world their story.
Tilley Mill is not the only haunted place in Euharlee. Perhaps the most haunted area in Euharlee is located in the center of the town.
The Euharlee covered bridge is one of the most well-known spiritually active places in North Georgia. Legends and rumors have been circulating for decades about the ghosts that haunt downtown Euharlee. This town is so small that it doesn’t have a post office or a traffic light and the Christmas parade consists solely of tractors and ATVs. Still, there are stories so dark that driving through the area at night makes some so uncomfortable that they are willing to risk a speeding ticket just to get out of there faster.
The covered bridge was built in 1886 and, like the bridge at Tilley Mill, it was built to provide a crossing over Euharlee Creek, a limb of the Etowah River. Like most tragedies, this one started with a curse. Just a few yards in front of the bridge lies a well. According to legend, a witch was travelling through the area and when she was denied shelter and food from the locals, she cursed the well, the water that fed it and the people of Euharlee.
History has forgotten what exactly the curse was meant to accomplish. However, the violent events that followed would leave a trace.
The legends told are gruesome and are not for the faint of heart, so be warned. Stories tell of a young girl who was abducted, assaulted and then hung from the rafters of the bridge. She leaves behind the sound of a groaning rope as her body sways over the rush of the water below.
Another legend tells of a mother who lost her child and, in her grief, she crafted a noose and hung herself under the bridge. She left her form walking the grounds around the bridge, screaming for her baby.
Some leave behind screams and splashes and some leave laughter and whispers. No one knows the full extent of the damage that witch’s curse brought to Euharlee, but some have an idea. Folks claim that the reason for the paranormal activity in the area is because the witch cursed every soul who drank the water. She cursed them to remain without rest in the small, uneventful town of Euharlee.
There is some evidence to back up that claim. In the early 2000s a paranormal investigation took place on and around the bridge. They heard what the locals heard but they decided to try something to gain some physical evidence. They closed off the bridge and laid down sand end to end. The team, along with some local residents, held a vigil overnight and guarded the bridge from entry. When dawn broke, they approached the bridge to find boot prints, hoof prints and tracks like those from a wagon. An imprint of trapped souls looking for a way out of Euharlee.
Some scary stories are just that, stories. Told around a camp fire or just before bed, these tall tales of misery and spirits trapped in a hellish purgatory are only meant to put us in a temporary state of terror. But there are those times when we see and hear things we wish we could forget we know things that we wish we could erase from our minds so that we may sleep easier or not look over our shoulders when the darkness falls over the foothills of Appalachia. Is Leddy calling for the attention of the living? Is the witch’s well the source of a wicked curse?
Better yet, are you willing to take a trip to Euharlee to find out for yourself?
Slow down a bit when driving through the sleepy town where restless souls seek to speak their truths. They’ll be expecting you.
Don't believe the hype! When DNA testing was first made available for genealogical purposes, some companies boasted how it could solve all your Leddy family tree mysteries. DNA testing can be a useful tool, when applied properly to a given research issue. If you're not sure how DNA testing could aid your Leddy research, read "Using DNA to Find Your Surname".
There is more to exploring your Leddy ancestry than just gathering a bunch of names and dates. Understanding where your ancestors lived, how they were employed, and what they did for fun, may give you a better appreciation of your heritage. Our team of seasoned experts are here to help you learn about different aspects of genealogy. Reading "Estate Records and Files" may help you think of some different tactics to compiling your Leddy family history.
You've only scratched the surface of Leddy family history.
Between 1952 and 2004, in the United States, Leddy life expectancy was at its lowest point in 1957, and highest in 1988. The average life expectancy for Leddy in 1952 was 45, and 68 in 2004.
An unusually short lifespan might indicate that your Leddy ancestors lived in harsh conditions. A short lifespan might also indicate health problems that were once prevalent in your family. The SSDI is a searchable database of more than 70 million names. You can find birthdates, death dates, addresses and more.