History Podcasts

CVE-110 U.S.S. Salerno Bay - History

CVE-110 U.S.S. Salerno Bay - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Salerno Bay
(CVE-110: dp. 11,373 1. 557'1", b. 75', ew. 105'2"dr. 32', s. 19 k., cpl. 1,066, a. 2 6", 34 40mm., act30; cl. Commencement Bay)

Salerno Bay (CVE-110) (ex-Winjah Bay) was laid down on 7 February 1944 by the Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Co., Tacoma, Wash.; launched on 26 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ward Gilbert, transferred to the Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg. for completion on 29 September 1944 and commissioned on 19 May 1945, Capt. W. C. Holt in command.

The fifth of a class built on the lines of the Sangamon'''o''-~class escort carriers with improvements dictated by that class's operating experience, Salerno Bay embarked her first air group, MCVEG-5, at the end of June. With that group, comprised of Marine Fighter Squadron 514 (VMF-514) and Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadron 144 (VTMB-144), she trained off southern California. Two days after Japan's mid-August capitulation, she sailed west with Composite Squadron 68 (VC-68) embarked as passengers. She conducted further training operations, including night qualification of her Marine air group, in Hawaiian waters, then continued west. On 21 September, she anchored in Buckner Bay, Okinawa. Later shifting to the Hagushi anchorage, she put to sea in early October to ride out a typhoon. On the 12th, she returned to Hagushi only to depart again on the 14th to support the mid-month occupation of Formosa by troops of the Chinese Army. From that island, the CVE headed east, to Saipan. She remained at Saipan for three weeks, then, detached from the 7th Fleet, she shifted to Guam, embarked veterans as passengers; and set a course for Pearl Harbor and San Diego. She arrived at the latter in early December. At mid-month, she proceeded to the Panama Canal Zone, whence she continued on to Norfolk, Va., arriving on the 23d.

Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and engaged primarily in qualifying carrier pilots, Salerno Bay operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean into 1947. In the spring of that year, she was ordered inactivated; and, in June, she sailed north, from Norfolk to Boston, to prepare for decommissioning and mothballing.

Decommissioned on 4 October, she remained in the reserve fleet until recommissioned on 20 June 1951. Shakedown training followed, and, in October, she commenced operations with Carrier Division 18. During November and early December, she conducted exercises off the Virginia Capes and in the Caribbean. On 18 December, she returned to Norfolk, but, on 7 January 1952, she again sailed south for operations in the Caribbean. Back at Norfolk in early February, she operated off Puerto Rico in March and off the Virginia and Carolina coasts from April to July. She then prepared for European deployment. On 26 August, she departed Norfolk; joined TF 173 en route; and, during September, participated in NATO exercises off Norway. In early October, she proceeded to Gibraltar thence sailed into the Mediterranean for operations with the 6th Fleet. At the end of November, she retransited the Strait of Gibraltar; and, on 7 December. she arrived back at Norfolk to resume local, western Atlantic, and Caribbean exercises, which she continued~ed into 1953.

In the spring of that year, as the war in Korea moved toward a truce, the CVE was again ordered inactivated. On 8 June, she returned to Boston, where she was decommissioned a second time on 16 February 1954. Reclassified AKV-10 in 1959, Salerno Bay remained in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1961. She was sold on 30 October to Revalorizacion de Materiales, S.A., through their agent Jacq. Pierot, Jr., and Sons, New York, and removed from Naval custody on 14 December 1961.

Carlton 'Carl' Bolton, 87

HYANNIS - Carlton "Carl" Bolton, 87, of Hyannis, passed away peacefully with his children by his side on Sunday, May 22, 2016. He was the husband of the late Rose Ernestine (Drapeau) Bolton.

Carl was born in Westport, MA, the son of James and Lucy Bolton. As a young boy he worked at Sampson's Farm picking potatoes by hand. He always said that there is where he attained his strong work ethic. He graduated from Westport High School as President of his class. After high school he joined the Navy and served honorably on board the U.S.S. Salerno Bay (CVE-110) during World War II.

Carl attended Northeastern University where he earned a BS in Accounting with honors. Carl and Ernestine were married shortly after graduation and moved to Stoughton, MA. He worked for many years with KPMG Peat Marwick as a CPA. In 1969 he moved his family to Cape Cod to work for Packaging Industries as Comptroller and CFO. In 1979 he moved to New Hampshire to work at HMS Sports, Inc. as VP of Finance. In 1986 he returned to the Cape and Packaging Industries as VP of Finance until his retirement to Florida in 1993. Carl and Ernestine returned to the Cape in 2009 to be with family.

He is survived by his children and their spouses, Carlene and Ned Rogean of Hyannis and David and Rebecca Bolton of Belchertown his grandchildren, Justin DeYoung, Jennifer Quaglieri, Jessica Sullivan, Jacqueline Donovan, Mitchell Bolton, Jarod Bolton and Macie Bolton and his great-grandchildren, Lillian, Delilah, Jude, Desmond, Olivia and Jaxson DeYoung. He is predeceased by his grandson Ross DeYoung. Carl is also remembered by his extended family at Emeritus at Plymouth Beach.

The family would like to thank the wonderful staff at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth for their loving care of Carl.

Our Newsletter

Product Description

USS Chenango CVE 28

Victory Edition 1942 - 1945

World War II Cruise Book

Bring the Cruise Book to Life with this Multimedia Presentation

This CD will Exceed your Expectations

A great part of Naval history.

You would be purchasing an exact copy of the USS Chenango cruise book during World War II. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. The CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

Some of the headlines in this book are as follows:

  • Divisional Group Photos with Names
  • VJ Day Crew Roster
  • Wartime History (5 Detailed Pages)
  • Ship Activity Highlights (5 Detailed Pages)
  • Operations in:
  • The Atlantic, Solomons, Tarawa, Gilbert-Marshalls, Marianas, Phillippines, and Okinawa
  • The Occupation of Japan

Over 215 pictures on 64 pages.

Once you view this CD you will know what life was like on this Escort Aircraft Carrier during World War II.

Additional Bonus:

  • 22 Minute Audio " American Radio Mobilizes the Homefront " WWII (National Archives)
  • 22 Minute Audio " Allied Turncoats Broadcast for the Axis Powers " WWII (National Archives)
  • 20 Minute Audio of a " 1967 Equator Crossing " (Not this ship but the Ceremony is Traditional)
  • 6 Minute Audio of " Sounds of Boot Camp " in the late 50's early 60's
  • Other Interesting Items Include:
    • The Oath of Enlistment
    • The Sailors Creed
    • Core Values of the United States Navy
    • Military Code of Conduct
    • Navy Terminology Origins (8 Pages)
    • Examples: Scuttlebutt, Chewing the Fat, Devil to Pay,
    • Hunky-Dory and many more.

    Why a CD instead of a hard copy book?

    • The pictures will not be degraded over time.
    • Self contained CD no software to load.
    • Thumbnails, table of contents and index for easy viewing reference.
    • View as a digital flip book or watch a slide show. (You set the timing options)
    • Back ground patriotic music and Navy sounds can be turned on or off.
    • Viewing options are described in the help section.
    • Bookmark your favorite pages.
    • The quality on your screen may be better than a hard copy with the ability to magnify any page.
    • Full page viewing slide show that you control with arrow keys or mouse.
    • Designed to work on a Microsoft platform. (Not Apple or Mac) Will work with Windows 98 or above.

    Personal Comment from "Navyboy63"

    The cruise book CD is a great inexpensive way of preserving historical family heritage for yourself, children or grand children especially if you or a loved one has served aboard the ship. It is a way to get connected with the past especially if you no longer have the human connection.

    If your loved one is still with us, they might consider this to be a priceless gift. Statistics show that only 25-35% of sailors purchased their own cruise book. Many probably wished they would have. It's a nice way to show them that you care about their past and appreciate the sacrifice they and many others made for you and the FREEDOM of our country. Would also be great for school research projects or just self interest in World War II documentation.

    We never knew what life was like for a sailor in World War II until we started taking an interest in these great books. We found pictures which we never knew existed of a relative who served on the USS Essex CV 9 during World War II. He passed away at a very young age and we never got a chance to hear many of his stories. Somehow by viewing his cruise book which we never saw until recently has reconnected the family with his legacy and Naval heritage. Even if we did not find the pictures in the cruise book it was a great way to see what life was like for him. We now consider these to be family treasures. His children, grand children and great grand children can always be connected to him in some small way which they can be proud of. This is what motivates and drives us to do the research and development of these great cruise books. I hope you can experience the same thing for your family.


    World War II [ edit ]

    The sixth of the line of Commencement Bay-class escort carriers with improvements dictated by that class's operating experience, Salerno Bay embarked her first air group, MCVEG-5, at the end of June. With that group, comprising Marine Fighter Squadron 514 (VMF-514) and Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadron 144 (VSMB-144), she trained off southern California. Two days after Japan's mid-August capitulation, she sailed west with Composite Squadron 68 (VC-68) embarked as passengers. She conducted further training operations, including night qualification of her Marine air group, in Hawaiian waters, then continued west. On 21 September, she anchored in Buckner Bay, Okinawa. Later shifting to the Hagushi anchorage, she put to sea in early October to ride out a typhoon. On 12 October, she returned to Hagushi only to depart again on 14 October to support the mid-month occupation of Formosa by troops of the Chinese Army. From that island, the escort carrier headed east, to Saipan. She remained at Saipan for three weeks then, detached from the 7th Fleet, she shifted to Guam embarked veterans as passengers and set a course for Pearl Harbor and San Diego. She arrived at the latter in early December. At mid-month, she proceeded to the Panama Canal Zone, whence she continued on to Norfolk, Virginia, arriving on 23 December.

    Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and engaged primarily in qualifying carrier pilots, Salerno Bay operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean into 1947. In the spring of that year, she was ordered inactivated and, in June, she sailed north, from Norfolk to Boston, to prepare for decommissioning and mothballing.

    Korean War [ edit ]

    Decommissioned on 4 October, she remained in the reserve fleet until recommissioned on 20 June 1951. Shakedown training followed and, in October, she commenced operations with Carrier Division 18. During November and early December, she conducted exercises off the Virginia Capes and in the Caribbean. On 18 December, she returned to Norfolk. On 7 January 1952, she again sailed south for operations in the Caribbean. Back at Norfolk in early February, she operated off Puerto Rico in March and off the Virginia and Carolina coasts from April to July. She then prepared for European deployment. On 26 August, she departed Norfolk joined TF 173 en route and, during September, participated in NATO exercises off Norway. In early October, she proceeded to Gibraltar, thence sailed into the Mediterranean for operations with the 6th Fleet. At the end of November, she retransited the Strait of Gibraltar and, on 7 December, she arrived back at Norfolk to resume local, western Atlantic, and Caribbean exercises, which she continued into 1953.


    This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

      Commencement Bay Class Escort Carrier
      Ordered as WINJAH BAY
      Renamed November 6 1943
      Keel Laid February 7 1944 - Launched September 26 1944

    Naval Covers

    This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each name of the ship (for example, Bushnell AG-32 / Sumner AGS-5 are different names for the same ship so there should be one set of pages for Bushnell and one set for Sumner). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

    Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.


    This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each name and/or commissioning period. Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

    A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
    >>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.

    Grumman TBF Avenger

    Standard carrier-borne torpedo aircraft and light bomber of WWII. The first prototype flew on August 1, 1941. Later models carried radar equipment for the ASW and EAW roles. A total of 9839 aircraft were built.

    We have Marine Corps TBM 85 in Culpeper Va at CAF. Hanger is open 2nd Saturday every month. New paint and had to put a Bikini on Gayle Ann but it is in flying conditon. Need bomb racks and bombs for it. Going to Dallas Tx for Wings over Dallas Oct 6-8. The exhaust is a bear to R&R. Pilots say you have to be on your toes when tailwheel is on ground or it can get away. Good AC. Like a Cub,it's so slow it can barely kill you.

    My uncle and godfather, Lt. Medard Purdy, was piloting a "single engine torpedo plane" (according to newspaper account) that crashed on December 17, 1952 at Brown Field, California while practicing carrier landings. I've searched the internet exhaustively, but can find no further information about the accident. Any suggestions?

    Was the turret gunner on the TBF /M off the CVE 76 Kadashan Bay in VC 20 Squadron in 1945 following the Leyte Gulf battle and then in the Manila, Luzon invasion, we took a kamakazie and listing badly,our TBF's and F4F's were sent to other carriers as we left the battle for repairs. Both airplanes were excellent fighters.

    This airplane was the "workhorse" of the Navy in WWII. I I I was an aviation radioman /aircrewman in WW II and flew missions in the Pacific Philippines, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. This airplane was incredible with armament in wings, 50 caliber turret, 30 caliber in the radio compartment, 2000 lb. bomb load in the bomb bay and (4) 5" rockets under each wing. Give much credit to this airplane for the retaking of islands from the Japanese in WWII. We supported the landings by Army and Marines. I am thankful for my experiences and thankful for many "near-sighted" Japanese anti-aircraft gunners as well. Grumman built great airplanes.

    I flew the airplane [ours were TBMs] for Advanced Flight Training at NAS Kingsville TX from Sept `54-Feb `55 GREAT airplane, my instructor was LT George Willey flight mates were Dan Barker, & Dick Ellis would love to hear from anyone who was there at the same time.

    My dad, Dale R. Ely, served as a yeoman aboard the U.S.S. CHENANGO, CVE-28 during WWII, '42-45. They were involved in numerous South Pacific battles, and even transported several loads of POW's out of Tokoyo when the war ended.
    Dad was aboard until they sailed back down and through the Panama Canal, up the East coast to put the ship out of commission in Boston harbor.
    They had SBD's, F4F's (later traded in for F6F's) and TBM's.
    We took him to a 40's Warbirds Air Show in Chino, CA years ago before he died, and I'll never forget the look on his face when they fired those planes up to fly 'em! Especially the F6F, F4U and the TBM. There IS no other sound quite like one of those radial engines starting.

    I was a aircraft radio technician 1st class and assigned to Stag One. We used the Avenger as control aircraft for drones in South Pacific during WWII.. Quite a aircraft.

    My dad was a navy photographer /machine gunner in the Grumman TBF, South Pacific, Japan, Guam amazing time, amazing stories and of course God bless the amazing men who literally saved the world.

    My uncle Lt jg lenord j Mason flew the TBMs off the USS Bunker Hill he was KIA anyone left that may of known him please let me know thanks

    I was aboard the carrier USS Salerno Bay CVE 110, from 51 to 53. We flew many TBM'S of her deck.We used both deck launch and catapult. We had two catapults the H-2 And H-4. The H-2 left a little to be desired but the H-4 was ok.
    It was quite an experience to put the plane on the deck at night in the north alantic, in mid winter with seas runnig high. It took a good LSO and pilot in a combined effort to accomplish the landing. I can only recall two fatalities in that period. Great rugged old bird

    Lets not forget General Motors made lots of these, designator TBM. Worked on them as full time reserve at Sand Point Naval Air Station, Seattle. Around 1955 they took the TBMs away and gave us AFs. Asked for our TBMs back. Later, around 1956, got S2F Gruman Gardians. BEGGED for our TBM back.

    anyone on this website know my uncle steven (TIPPY) turawski? his whole plane went missing over the triangle avenger bomber off of uss mindoro mid to late 40's.

    A real classic WWII aircraft. With aircraft like that, I understand why Grumman earned the nickname "the smithy".

    My Dad, who passed away last year, was a AMM2 on board the USS Wasp (CV-18). He was Turret Gunner and absolutely had a love affair with the TBF /M! I took him to many WWII Weekend airshows in Reading, Pa. where he got to see a number of restored Avengers and even climbed up into the turret one year in full flight gear. . .he loved it!!

    I spent the most part of eight years in on of these old birds .I was in A.S.W 792as A radar man we had two crew men in the back. I thought it was great for what we were doing.

    I went through operational training at NAS Fort Lauderdale, FL in 1945 and qualified in carrier landings in the TBF /TBM aboard the USS Wolverine, on Lake Michigan - out of NAS Glenview. Great airplane! Safe as an old rocking chair.

    The TBM's were a great plane and one of the safest to ever operate from an Aircraft Carrier because of their slow stall speed around 65 knots. I was a member of VS-892 /VS-38 from 1951 to 1954. In 1953 we (VS-38) were the last squadron to deploy with TBM's during the Korean War. The Navy retired the old Turkey Birds and switched the the the new twin engine S2F's another great plane.

    For Peterbess: If you are talking of the upright, angled fitting on top of the port wingtip, that's the pitot tube.

    I was an aviation electronicsman 3rd class in VS 26 an anti-submarine squadron. In 1950-51, the plane was modified with the removal of the turret and addition of anti-submarine gear. The center canopy area behind the pilot had a radarman position added. The turret area had receivers for sonobuoys which were dropped in the water near suspected submarine sights. The belly which previously were quarters for the radioman housed a searchlight operator. The plane was designated a TBM 3N. This aircraft was the killer part of a hunter killer team. The hunter was equipped with a large belly radome and flew with a pilot and two radar operators squeezed into the back. Working with an American sub 100 miles off NOrfolk VA at midnight we had an engine failure at 300 feet. We lost the searchlight operator and could not get the raft out because the hatch was painted dark blue. The plane sank in seconds leaving me and the pilot with his one man raft. Six weeks later, flying off the USS Mindoro in Operation Lantflex a war game, around midnight, the hunter vectored us toward a suspected sub 440 miles SE of Bermuda. We located the sub which dove as we approached. We dropped several sonobuoys around the sub's last position. I heard the sub's propeller cavitation on my radios and vectored the pilot to drop more sonobuoys. I had very strong signals of the sub's prop, vectored the pilot around to drop a dummy depth charge on it. With the bomb bay doors opened and making these drops at 300 feet altitude in the dark, we accidentally flew into the sea. The force of the crash flew the raft out of its hatch. The pilot, the radarman, and I got out, but the searchlight operator who was just behind the open bomb bay window never made it out. The three of us hung on to the pilot's one man raft. Fortunately, we were picked up by the USS Harwood, a DE, several hours later.

    hi guy's just building a scale looking 81" rc avenger and just wondering if you could help me with info i want to know what's on the left hand wing tip weather it's a fueling point or what? thank's in advance

    Mục lục

    Salerno Bay, với tên ban đầu là Winjah Bay, được đặt lườn tại xưởng tàu của hãng Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corporation ở Tacoma, Washington vào ngày 7 tháng 2 năm 1944. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 26 tháng 9 năm 1944 được đỡ đầu bởi bà Ward Gilbert chuyển đến xưởng tàu của hãng Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oregon để hoàn thiện, hoàn tất vào ngày 29 tháng 9 năm 1944 và nhập biên chế vào ngày 19 tháng 5 năm 1945 dưới quyền chỉ huy của Hạm trưởng, Đại tá Hải quân W. C. Holt.

    1945 - 1947 Sửa đổi

    Salerno Bay đón liên tàu liên đội máy bay đầu tiên, MCVEG-5, vốn bao gồm Phi đội Tiêm kích Thủy quân Lục chiến 514 (VMF-514) và Phi đội Ném bom Ngư lôi Thủy quân Lục chiến 144 (VTMB-144), vào cuối tháng 6, 1945, để tiến hành huấn luyện ngoài khơi bờ biển phía Nam California. Ngày 17 tháng 8, hai ngày sau khi Nhật Bản chấp nhận đầu hàng kết thúc chiến tranh, nó lên đường đi sang phía Tây cùng Liên đội Hỗn hợp 68 (VC-68) là hành khách trên tàu, tiếp tục các hoạt động huấn luyện tại vùng biển Hawaii, bao gồm những hoạt động chuẩn nhận bay đêm, trước khi tiếp tục hướng sang khu vực Tây Thái Bình Dương. Nó thả neo tại vịnh Buckner, Okinawa vào ngày 21 tháng 9, rồi chuyển đến khu vực thả neo Hagushi trước khi lại ra khơi vào đầu tháng 10 để né tránh một cơn bão. Con tàu quay trở lại Hagushi vào ngày 12 tháng 10 để rồi lại khởi hành vào ngày 14 tháng 10, hỗ trợ cho việc tiếp nhận sự đầu hàng của lực lượng Nhật Bản trú đóng tại Đài Loan.

    Salerno Bay đi đến Saipan và ở lại đây trong ba tuần, khi nó được cho tách khỏi Đệ thất Hạm đội và chuyển đến Guam, nơi nó đón lên tàu những cựu chiến binh, và đưa họ quay trở về Trân Châu Cảng và San Diego trong khuôn khổ Chiến dịch Magic Carpet. Về đến vùng bờ Tây vào đầu tháng 12, con tàu tiếp tục hành trình đi sang vùng bờ Đông ngang qua kênh đào Panama, đi đến Norfolk, Virginia vào ngày 23 tháng 12.

    Được phân về Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương và chủ yếu làm nhiệm vụ chuẩn nhận phi công hoạt động trên tàu sân bay, Salerno Bay hoạt động dọc theo bờ biển Đại Tây Dương và tại vùng biển Caribe cho đến năm 1947. Nó nhận mệnh lệnh ngừng hoạt động vào mùa Xuân năm đó, chuyển từ Norfolk đến Boston, Massachusetts vào tháng 6, và được cho xuất biên chế tại đây vào ngày 4 tháng 10, 1947.

    Chiến tranh Triều Tiên Sửa đổi

    Sự kiện lực lượng Bắc Triều Tiên tấn công xuống lãnh thổ Nam Triều Tiên khiến chiến tranh bùng nổ vào tháng 6, 1950 đã khiến Hải quân Hoa Kỳ thiếu hụt số tàu chiến còn khả năng hoạt động. Vì vậy Salerno Bay được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào ngày 20 tháng 6, 1951, và sau khi hoàn tất chạy thử máy vào tháng 10, nó hoạt động cùng Đội tàu sân bay 18. Trong tháng 11 và đầu tháng 12, nó thực tập ngoài khơi Virginia Capes và tại vùng biển Caribe trước khi quay trở về Norfolk vào ngày 18 tháng 12. Đến ngày 7 tháng 1, 1952, nó lại lên đường hướng xuống phía Nam để hoạt động tại vùng biển Caribe, và sau khi quay trở về Norfolk vào đầu tháng 2, nó hoạt động ngoài khơi Puerto Rico trong tháng 3, rồi tại vùng bờ biển Virginia và South Carolina từ tháng 4 đến tháng 7.

    Salerno Bay sau đó chuẩn bị cho một chuyến đi sang Châu Âu. Nó khởi hành từ Norfolk vào ngày 26 tháng 8, gia nhập Lực lượng Đặc nhiệm 173 trên đường đi, và đến tháng 9 đã tham gia cuộc tập trận của Khối NATO ngoài khơi bờ biển Na Uy. Sang đầu tháng 10, nó chuyển đến Gibraltar, rồi đi vào Địa Trung Hải và hoạt động cùng Đệ lục Hạm đội cho đến tháng 11, khi nó quay ngược trở lại eo biển Gibraltar để quay trở về nhà. Về đến Norfolk vào ngày 7 tháng 12, con tàu tiếp nối các hoạt động tại chỗ, dọc theo bờ biển Đại Tây Dương và vùng biển Caribe, cho đến năm 1953.

    Sau khi đạt được một thỏa thuận ngừng bắn chấm dứt cuộc xung đột tại bán đảo Triều Tiên, Salerno Bay được chuẩn bị cho ngừng hoạt động. Nó quay trở lại Boston vào ngày 8 tháng 6, nơi nó được cho xuất biên chế lần thứ hai vào ngày 16 tháng 2, 1954. Đang khi trong thành phần dự bị, nó được xếp lại lớp như một tàu chở máy bay với ký hiệu lườn AKV-10 vào ngày 7 tháng 5, 1959, nhưng không bao giờ hoạt động trở lại. Tên nó được cho rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 1 tháng 6, 1961 và con tàu được bán cho hãng Jacq. Pierot, Jr., and Sons tại New York vào ngày 30 tháng 10, 1961 để tháo dỡ.

    Bolling’s File

    Name: Robert Bolling
    D.O.B: 9 June 1928
    Hometown: Brockton, Mass.
    Current: North Port, FL
    Entered Service: June 1946
    Discharged: June 1948
    Rank: Yeoman 3rd Class
    Unit: USS Salerno Bay, CVE-110

    This story was first published in the Charlotte Sun newspaper, Port Charlotte, Florida on Monday, March 14, 2011and is republished with permission.

    All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be republished without permission. Links are encouraged.

    Click here to view the War Tales fan page on FaceBook.

    Click here to view Bolling’s Collection in the Library of Congress’ Veterans History Project.

    Література [ ред. | ред. код ]

    • Энциклопедия авианосцев. Под общей редакцией А. Е. Тараса / Минск, Харвест Москва, АСТ, 2002
    • Авианосцы Второй мировой. Новые властелины океанов. //С. А. Балакин, А. В. Дашьян, М. Э. Морозов. — М.:Коллекция, Яуза, 2006. ISBN 5-699-17428-1
    • С. А. Балакин — Авианосцы мира. 1939—1945. Великобритания, США, СССР.
    • Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1922—1946 / US Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-0870219139

    CVE-110 U.S.S. Salerno Bay - History

    This page is maintained by:
    John J. Herrmann
    Danbury Connecticut

    It is my sad duty to report on the death of Captain Roger W. Luther,
    USN. Ret. who was commander of the Icebreaker USS Edisto (AGB-2)
    during "Operation Deepfreeze"--over the Antarctic summer of
    1955-1956. Captain Luther was just twenty days short of his ninety-
    fifth birthday when he passed away June 8, 2006, in Hawaii. He is
    survived by his wife and four children, two grandchildren, many
    shipmates, other friends, an me. Roger Luther often told me, Roger
    G. Chatten (his namesake and cousin), that making a safe navigable
    route through the ice with the Edisto was one of the most rewarding
    professional experiences of his maritime career. Knowing Roger
    Luther as I did, for over fifty-five years, I think he also really
    liked busting-up ice with a really big boat! During the cold war,
    Captain Luther commanded the USS Maury (AGS-16) to the port of Odessa
    on the Black Sea (USSR)--at that time in history, a significant and
    politically delicate command. In World War Two he served on various
    Navy vessels and retired from the Navy as a Captain only to then
    become a Master Unlimited (oceans) and First Class Pilot (harbor
    pilot) upon Puget Sound and surrounding waters. He was a true
    gentleman, an optimist, my hero, my relative, and my touch with the
    larger world. And, most of all, he was my longest personal
    friendship he was my pal, and my "skipper." Calm seas and
    tailwinds, my captain. Respectfully, Roger G. Chatten, Ph.D. USCG
    100 ton Master/Inland.

    Dear Edisto Webmaster,
    My second cousin, namesake, friend (and personal hero) is Roger W. Luther who was Commander, USN, of the Edisto for two Antarctic trips including 1955-56 this was Admiral Byrd's last trip to the bottom of the world. Luther, is a very healthy/happy 90 year old retired Capt. USN, as well as retired harbor pilot, who spends his time with his wife and kids and grandkids (and me, happily) while living between the pacific northwest and Hawaii. He has asked me to wish his fellow crew members "all the best." I have attached a photo taken about 1937 of,

    then, Ensign Roger W. Luther complete with dress sword and a proper salute. I have transferred your website to hard copy to share with Capt. Luther--he is very pleased. Keep up the good work! (P.S. In 1956, "Deeds" (only worth their paper) were created by the Edisto's print shop claiming small homestead plots at "Cape Hallett" which were a joy for the crew and their families as they returned to Boston. One of my "prize" possessions is one of those "deeds"). Feel free to use the text and/or photo for enjoyment of the crew(s) of the Edisto.

    Roger Chatten, Ph.D. (Psychologist) & 100 T USCG MASTER Power/Sail/Inland/GL

    By the way, the "deed" to the "lots" indicated a sort of south polar version of a mid 1950s new home development It was called "Edisto Acres". ,

    This is John Bailey, Edisto July 61-July 62

    I was on the USS EDISTO from 1948 until 1952. My rank was SK3.

    P O Box 293
    69 Clem Court
    So. Barre MA.

    I was aboard The EDISTO 1952-1954,EM2

    My dad, Donald Schomaker, was stationed on the Edisto sometime in the early 50s

    I was on the "Steady Eddie" from 57 until early 60

    Served aboard From Nov. 1965,66 and part of 1967

    Jim Monahan Served from 1962 until 1965 just before she was transferred to USCG

    My brother in law, Jonathan Hardisty,passed away this last Sunday, he served aboard the USS Edisto, I believe in the late 1960s

    1955 Summer Arctic cruise as a USS Edisto crew member.

    I am very sorry to have to inform you that Thomas Robertson. crew member of U.S.S. Edisto in the early 50's has passed away. (Feb. 6, 2003) His screen name was [email protected] He enjoyed so much the correspondences from other crew members of his beloved ship. God bless all of you. keep the old girl's memory alive.
    Mrs. Thomas Robertson

    My father Kenneth Goss (from Long Island NY) served on the Edisto in 1966

    My dad, William (Bud) Eitnier served on the Edisto between 1948 and 1952

    I served as a Midshipman First Class on the trip from Thule, Greenland back to the states by way of a hurricane in the summer of 1960 and then later served as Supply Officer from January 1962 through June of 1963.

    I served as a Midshipman First Class on the trip from Thule, Greenland back to the states by way of a hurricane in the summer of 1960.

    Served aboard the Edisto during Operation Deep Freeze in 1962

    Served on this great ship in 1952 as Medical Officer.I believe CO was CDR Leroy

    I served on the Edisto June 61 to Aug 62. My rate was EN2, I took over No. 2 engine room from John Sweeney when he was discharged, my trusty EN3 Dave Thiem was my right hand man. I came over to the Edisto from the USS Des Moines when we put it out of commission at Boston Yard, I then got orders to the Edisto. I joined the ship shortly after it returned from Deep freeze. I saw Sweeney and Thiems names on the muster list and hoped I could contact them someday before it's to late. I forget we are in our early sixties and still think of them the way they were then, young boys.

    [email protected]

    12 union St. Stanhope, NJ 07874
    service # 528 29 34

    I was part of the helicopter detachment that was assigned to the Edisto in 1959. Our group was assigned to HU-4 located at NAS Lakehurst. We spent 5 months in the north Atlantic between Greenland and Canada primarily remapping the shipping lanes to Thule. In those days they found submerged islands that were charted as much as a mile from its actual location. Apparently the charts were based on data that predated WWII. Our helicopters flew radio equipment to various islands that acted as triangulations with the ship and the ocean bottom was then remapped so that shipping no longer would hit submerged islands. I believe we had some Canadians aboard to help in the mapping. I became an official Blue Nose from that trip.

    I served on "Steady Eddie" in 1964 and 1965. I was involved in Arlis II in the rescue of trapped scientists on the ice flow. I was an EN3 in B-3 engine room and was the log room yeoman for awhile. I was TAD to the Coast Guard when Eddie was transferred.

    I served aboard Edisto from 11/58 till 6/59 for the 58-59 Antacrtic trip (Operation Deep Freeze IV), the end of the International Geophysical Year expedition. Was in the radar gang with Dave Hultman, Elwin Vaughn, Jim Vaughn, Ronnie Pollard, and ? Jackson. I would love to hear from any shipmates, and in particular would like to purchase or borrow a cruise book from the 58-59 trip. I have lost my copy and would like to duplicate it. If you have a copy available, please call me in Tucson at (520) 797 - 7021, or fax me at (520) 797 - 7015. Thanks. Beast wishes to all who served.

    (Jerry and Marlene Adam). I reported on board the USS EDISTO on 3 April 1954 and left her on 25 June 1956. During this time I had been on several trips to the Artic. On 30 October 1955 at 1500 hours, the Edisto left the pier in Boston harbor and headed for Antarctica. We were part of OPERATION DEEPFREEZE 1. We returned to Boston on 21 April 1956

    I had reported on board as a Deck Ape. The First Lieutendant found in my records that I had a year of typing in high school. He came to me one day while I was chipping paint and said "You are now the First Lieutendants Yeoman". I didn't even know what that was but now I was one. Later I was transferred to ships office and there reached YN2 before being transferred off the ship.

    I have been following your site for some time now and have enjoyed it immensely. In fact, through this site, I have established contact with an old shipmate that I have lost contact with some years ago. We hope to get together here in Florida sometime this winter. This man was the Best Man for our wedding many years ago. We hope for a reunion this Winter here in Florida. He lives in Ohio and we live in Minnesota. Thank You.

    I would like to share some things with all shipmates but don't know how. I am a real green horn with this machine. Could you help me.

    My name is Jerry Adam. I reported on board the Edisto on 1 April 1954 and stayed on board until 25 June 1956. I came on board as a Deck Ape and left a YN3. At first I was chipping paint with the best and soon was assigned as 1st Lieutenants Yeoman. Later was transferred to Ships Office. During my tour on board, I made several trips to the Arctic and one cruise to Antarctica. We were a part of Operation Deepfreeze 1 from 30 October 1955 until 21 April 1956. I would like to share some Antarctic adventures with you. As I said, we were on Deepfreeze 1. When we arrived at McMurdo Sound on 20 December 1955, the only live thing there to great us was Penguins.
    I would like to share with you an entry from my personal log. "20 December 1955 - Arrived at destination. Tied up to the edge of the ice and started unloading. I spent the day out on the ice up at the base camp. Was the 1st man to stay there alone. The first man to pitch a tent there. Base camp is at Scott's old camp 35 odd miles from where the ship was moored. Rode back and forth by helicopter. Tuck SK1 arrived about 1/2 hour after I did. Noon others came and we set up a camp. On the return trip we saw Admunsens camp from the air. Met the first planes in from New Zealand and escorted it back to the air strip five miles this side of the camp." If you would care to see a picture of that day, click on:
    After the 3rd page, click on "Return to Table of Contents". This should take you to Phil Richardson's site. Phil was on board the USS Nespelen AOG55. The Edisto is talked about in the section titled "Nespelen Crushed". At the end of this page key onto "Summering in the Antarctic" Phil makes it sound like fiction, but on 15 January 1956 the Nespelen was caught in the ice and being crushed. The Edisto came to her aid and got her out.

    Hope you find it interesting. Jerry Adam

    Transferred from the USS Noxubee AOG56 to the USS Edisto while in the shipyards in Boston. I was a Cook CS3 on board from about October 1952 to March of 1953. We made a couple of trips north during that time. We were in the ice trying to make Thule Greenland in January/February time frame. We were accompanied by a second Ice Breaker, possibly the Atka. I believe that the skipper of the other ship was in charge of the attempt. After a laborious time and not able to make headway we were finally turned back. The skipper of the Edisto, who I can't recall by name now was married to a women from Grondel, Greenland. We pulled into Grondel on one occasion but were not permitted in town. We frequented the club on the Danish Naval Base where we were moored. Do not know if the captain wanted to impress someone or what but he had us in dress blues on the dock one Saturday AM for personnel inspection during a snow storm. That I have some pictures that I can e-mail if you want for the web site. Just let me know where to send them.
    The Edisto was definitely an adventure on the high seas.

    My father-in-law Richard "Dick" Stoop, from Trenton NJ, served aboard the Edisto from `52 - `54 up in the N. Atlantic. He is doing well, retired in Bradenton, FL. Please feel free to log him on your list. Thanks for serving fellas

    Remembering the '63 Deep Freeze Operation. I was a TN aboard the Edisto in '63-64 and stayed with the Navy for 20 years transfering to the fleet reserve in Nov 1980 as A Senior Chief. Currenly working at NAS North Island Aviation Support as a Supply technician, and worked prior to this with General Services Administration (GSA) as a Purchasing Agent.

    served aboard USS Edisto AGB2 59 AND 60. Made one trip south and one north.Great to see all photos of the men and the ship as I have lost most of mine.I was discharged in Sept.'60 when the ship pulled into Boston. It's great to feel young again.

    Don came onboard in 63 and was on there when the Coast Guard took over.

    Served on three northern trips. I also was on operation Deep Freeze IV, 1958-1959 Worked in the Electrical Division. Made third class po,transfered to USS WASP, then two more years in active submarines. I made po2. Was recomended to LDO but got out. Lived in N.J till 1981 moved to Florida and have worked at Disney World for the last 21 years, as and Instrument & Controls tech. Made all Navy Times as one of the card players on our wooden deck with ice in the background.


    to hear from any one who made the cruise

    I was a dental tech on the Edisto part oF 58, 59 and separated from active duty in '60. Returned to Connecticut got my BS and Masters in education ( never taught) but went into the restaurant business and have been in that field ever since, from country Inn's in Maine to restaurants in Florida. I have been married 35 years this week and have on son and four grand children. I have thought about my Navy days frequently with good memories and experiences and friends fondly remembered.


    Served in Edisto 1953-55, first as CIC/Communications Officer, then as Operations Officer. Commanding Officers were CDR Leroy & CDR Jackson H. Raymer. XO was LCDR Frank Brimmer. Navigator was Lt. Emil Saroch. Supply Officer was LTJG Andy Giordano

    Photo was taken at the change of command ceremony in the Fall of 1953. CDR Leroy (left) was relieved by CDR Jackson H. Raymer (reading his orders). The lady holding the yawning baby is Betty Doyle. The yawning baby is Mary Ellen Doyle.

    I remember riding through Connecticut in your convertible. Here's a
    picture of you in one of your quieter moments. I'm the altar boy. Doc
    Tehan is on the right. Can't remember who the other shipmate is. Keep in

    Here's a recent photo of Betty & me. It was taken in September of 2001.

    Served aboard Edisto 1958-59 Deep Freeze IV to Shackleton and Ellsworth Stations also the Palmer Peninsula Mission. I fondly remember AGB-2 and the great crew. H. Ray Neff QM3

    I was a Dental Technician aboard the Edisto in 1955 & 1956.

    Served on the Edisto from 56-60. Made quite a few trips North and one trip South 58-59. Served Cdr Plummer and Cdr Davidson. This was the best duty I had in my 20 years in the Navy. I retired in 1975.

    Served on the USS Edisto 1957-1960 as an IC Electrician. This was my first duty assignment. Also served on the USS Georgetown out of Norfolk. (Plankowner)

    Great memories Edisto taught me a lot as a hard running QM3 (So did the ports in South America on Deepfreze 4) Thanks been looking for an Edisto page for years.

    Served on USS Edisto AGB-2 1958-1959 and made Deep Freeze IV as an SA in the Deck Division.

    Served as XO 1963 to 1966. One trip South and three North on "Steady Eddie"

    Attached is a photo of our wardroom bar where we could inbibe since we were exposed to the elements.In the Picture you can pick out me with back turned,Ed Davidson (skipper), Jesberg (helo pilot), Gresmier (supply) and Goforth (ops officer). Oz Schroder

    Boarded the edisto december30,1951 en3. transferd to boston august1,1952from thule greenland for discharge.

    served aboard the USS Edisto AGB2 for eleven months in 1950. My downfall was sea sickness, which I never got over. I spent a lot of time top side by the stack. At least I didn't freeze. There's a blower in back of the stack coming from the engine room. I made several trips to Greenland. On the last trip to Iceland I was transferred off ship at Argentia, Newfoundland and was sent to Chelsea Naval Hospital. The doctor said I had chronic motion sickness. I was sent to the Fargo Building for reassignment. I got a larger ship, CVE 110 Salerno Bay. I was on it 16 months and was sick only once. I was on the USS Saipan CVL 48 four months and was discharged in December 1952.
    I met my wife while I served on the Edisto. We have no children, but have had each other for 51 years. God Bless You All.

    1825 TWEED AVE
    ALLENTOWN, PA. 18103

    [email protected]
    I was on the Edisto from Feb 1954 to Nov 1955 as an aerographer [weather man] I was on 2 winter and 2 summer cruises to the Artic and 1 shakedown cruise to the St Thomas islands I was also on the summer cruise when we were north of Russia and a Russian Battleship followed us for two days. anyone remember that? I than went aboard the USS Atka to cruise thru the Panama Canal to Seattle Wash. for a cruise to Alaska in 1956. I left the Atka in Nov to be discharged while the Atka went south to the Anartic.

    Tom is alive and well at age 64. He and wife Elaine are living at Mills Pond Rd, Wells VT and he just retired after 30 years as Printer for Moore Business Forms. Tom said he has a computer but they haven't yet signed up for email but I gave him the web site address and told him we hope to see him online and sign up on our guest book soon

    I was aboard from November,'62 until June,'65 as one of the "Fresh-caught Ensigns and finished my tour as Navigator. This is a great website, bringing back many memories of one of the Navy's great ships with some outstanding people.

    2709 Stagg Ave
    Basile , LA (337) 432-5668

    I served on the Edisto from the summer of 1955 to the summer of 1957. I was discharged with the rank of PN2. Most of my time was spent in the ship's office. Underway I was the Captains talker.

    I was the OinC of the helicopter detachment from HU-4 in Lakehurst, NJ. aboard Edisto for DeepFreeze '63. CDR Ed Davison was the CO of Edisto. We had an interesting and exciting cruise. I was pleased and previledged to have serve on Edisto.

    Was a member of the BT Team during the 62-63 Antartica tour.



    I served aboard the "STEADY EDDIE" from March of 62 to Nov. of 63, as a DK3. I worked with Bob Randall and we worked for Chief Jackson. I have to look for my cruise book to find other names. It was a long time ago and spending the last 4 hours on this web sight has brought back a lot of memories. I was floored when Eugene Fettinger called me and asked if I served on the ship, and even more surprised to find the web sight with all the information. Nice work and I will pass on the sight if I ever run into someone from the ship. Some of the guys on the 61 trip south were on the 62 trip and it was nice to see their pictures etc.

    I was assigned to the Edisto Fall of 1961 to June 1964. Main propulsion B2 Engine Room. I am now 60, don't get seasick anymore, but then I don't go to sea anymore! I can still hear despite Fairbanks Morse # 3 & 4 engines. Very surprised to "find" this website, & even more surprised to still remember some of the names of my shipmates on the muster list. P.S. E-mail address is my wife's. I don't know how to use the damn thing yet!

    Served on USS Edisto 1963 thru 1965, RMSA-RM3 retired as RMCS 1 Jan 1983. Went south once and north twice. was on board for the resuce of ARLIS II. Great Ship, Great Crews and Great Memories.

    I served on the USS Edisto AGB2 from Sept l1,1948 thru sept, 1949 and made many voyages into the northern polar area. The August, 6, l949 issue of The Saturday Evening Post, "WE BUCKED THE ARCTIC ISE PACK" is an article that I ventured on. Frank S. Macchia

    I served onboard from 61 to 64 was lucky enough to see Thule a few times and our southern end once.She was a fablious home. especially for someone just out of boot camp and A school. Does anyone remember Rip Page EM2 or the airdale from Alabama AT2 Muckenfuss? I still owe him $5.00

    I was attached to the USS Edisto for the North cruise in the summer of 1961. We were from HU-4, a helicopter utility squadron based in Lakehurst N.J. I shall never forget this cruise, it took me somewhere not all people are privileged to see. It was a great old ship with the best group of men of any ship I was ever on. I was an enlisted man with the rate of Petty Officer 3rd class. It is great that you folks are trying to stay connected via the web. If any one out there remembers me, drop me a note, I would enjoy hearing from you.

    I retired in 1982 as a GSCS. I was a EM2 when I left the ship in 1962 to attend Nuclear Power School. I retired from the FFG Class Fleet Intoduction Team at Bath Iron Works in Maine 50 Miles from My home town.

    I was on the March 20, 1947 commissioning crew as Fireman First Class. I have a Plank Owner's certificate. My nick name is "Smokey." It's been a long time.

    [email protected]
    When I was stationed in Newport, RI at the Commanding Officer's building and
    received my orders to report onboard the Edisto, my best friend gave me an
    ice pick and I was off for Boston to join the ship which was tied up in
    Charlestown at a private dock. As I arrived, Feb 1958, it started snowing
    and snowed for 3 days. It was my first blizzard.
    I was on the deck force for a few months under the guidance? of Monday.
    After the Gitmo cruise, I was transferred to the Supply Div. and was
    responsible for the Ship's Store lockers and the beer locker. I left the
    ship in Nov. 1958 and the Navy the following month.
    I am now retired and live in WV. The time aboard the Edisto was an
    experience I'll never forget.

    Your excellent site has stirred some ancient memories! I toured Edisto as a civilian visitor on Armed Forces Day 1950 in Boston, never imagining that I would one day go to sea in her. That happened when I served aboard the ship as an AG2 (weather-guesser) from Oct 1954 to Feb 1955. Oddly enough, I was in Thule aboard another ship when Edisto arrived there in the summer of 1952 during Operation Sunac. My most vivid memory is of Edisto bucking heavy seas during a storm northeast of Cape Hatteras. We had to abandon the aerology shack on the main deck and set up shop in the chart room above the navigation bridge where we spent much of the time on the deck clinging to the legs of a table. When we needed more weather charts, I made the trip back to the aerology shack at the end of a line held by one of the boatswain's mates. The last time I saw Edisto, I was a civilian again standing on the shore of Castle Island as she left Boston en route to Antarctica in the fall of 1955.

    Reading all these memories sure makes me feel old. I arrived aboard the Edisto five days after the Navy put her in commission. March 25,1947 as I recall. Made the Arctic Cruise the Summer of'47 and the Antarctic the Winter of'47-48. What memories this brings back. I'll try to find some pictures and compose a good sea story for you at a later date.

    I was stationed on board the Edisto from 1963 until it was turned over to the Coast Guard in 1965. I was part of the B-1 Engineroom Gang and my mentor was 1st Class Ed Hardy. My wife and I just got back from visiting him in Mississippi. I have a lot of old photo's from the "Steady Eddie" and a couple of cruise books too. I'm going to be expecting to hear from some of you old timers so pass this information on !

    served on the USS Edisto AGB2 in operation Deep Freeze in 1958-59 as part of the Deck Crew

    Interesting to review the roster. Some of you I know - some not.
    Those of you that remember when President Kennedy was shot, know exactly
    where you were that November of 1962 - Norfolk, VA on board with me on
    our way to the ice. If you were on board during that time, I probably
    know who you are. Probably I say as 40 years is a long time.

    I'm Charles Brackett, son of Richard Standish Brackett.

    624 Drexel Road
    Rocky Mount NC 27803-2166

    Capt Jackson H. Raymer and his wife Betty (their photos are on our MODE web page). I spoke with his wife Betty and she said that Capt Raymer is now 87 and has Parkinson's disease.

    CAPT Jackson H. Raymer USN RET
    3440 S. Jefferson #637
    Falls Church VA 22041

    My father, William F. Morrison, was the captain of the Edisto in 1949-1950. He was a commander then, I was eight years old, we lived in Winchester, Mass. He retired in 1959 as a captain, upon retirement he was promoted to rear admiral. He retired to a farm in Indiana where he was pretty much a gentleman farmer until his death in 1978 at age 65. My dad was the captain of three ships in his career, besides the Edisto, there was an LSD, the Shadwell and an ammunition ship, the Rainier. I believe that the Edisto was his favorite, certainly it was the most interesting. I enjoyed your web site. It brought back fond memories of my visits to the ship to watch movies in the wardroom and explore the many wonders of an icebreaker.



    My husband Hugh J Spicer served as navigator aboard the Edisto from Jan 1955 to 1957 He died 3 years ago, but his naval experiences were shared with many through slide presentations and talks. I remember Capt. Luther and dinners on the ship when it was in port and my husband had duty.

    Don was serving on the Edisto when I met him in March of 1964. He had just returned from the south pole and was leaving for the north pole. We were married in Jan. of 2965 and have 4 children. Don passed away in March of 1999.

    Former Cdr Edward Davidson - - - had command of Edisto 1962-63. We, myself, and the best crew that ever served on board any US Naval vessel, visited Thule, Greenland then South to the Antartic. Our stay there was lengthened since the Coast Guard breaker broke down and couldn't fulfill it's hydrographic duties. Those of you who were aboard then will remember our finding the remains of Byrd's station supply dump on a calved off berg from the Ross ice shelf. I know I will never forget that tour nor the unbelievably fine crew that made it all possible.


    I was on board "Steady Eddie" from March 61 thru June 63. I came on board just as Chief Castleberry was getting ready to leave (all others of the ET gang already gone). A ETSN fresh from "A" school and I was lead ET for one northern cruise! What an experience. Cdr Evans, Lt Goforth (later Lcdr), YN1 Gill, Bosn Brown, ENC Curtis, HMC Lea, SH3 Maxie, SK3 Verborg, AG1 Parker, EMFA Stew Grow, and EM Steve Jarret are all names I recognize from your listings and the pictures. Lt Goforth was promoted to Lcdr and made Operations Department head. I don't have any real tales to tell, but I made three northern trips and the "summer" Deepfreeze '63 trip where we stayed 121 days below the antarctic circle, ran in to a nasty hurricane on the way out and ran out of food! Was fun thinking about it, but wasn't so much fun then!! Left Edisto and went to Nuc school with Steve Jarrett. remember me annoying your poor pregnant wife in trailer park! Never finished Nuc school, ended up on the USS

    Hello all of you ex-polliwogs. It was great to look at this site. brought back many memories. Saw some familiar names on the site. I served on Edisto during 61-62. Went North and South. If i had it to do over again, I would do it again. Often said i should have re-upped. Oh well. cant look back. Life is great.

    Served on board (1958)long enough to go North on Expedtion, upon return to Boston, while in drydock, wound up in Chelsea Naval with appendix bursting,. While rehabbing worked at hospital. Wound up being re- assigned to USS Atka AGB-3. Atka had just returned from the South and went into dry dock, apparently Edisto was scheduled to go South shortly thereafter. Nice site was surprised to hear fro Eugene Fettinger, after all these years.

    As I remember, I was on Edisto 1962-1964. I cruised North Pole twice and South Pole once. I recognized Dave Thiem's name for we were both in the same engine room. I do remember a storm which left our ship covered with tons of ice (real scary!). I don't have an e-mail at the moment. The above is my daugher's e-mail. My home phone: 315-488-0689 at 114 Helmi Drive, Syracuse, NY 13219. My wife, Anne, and I look forward to the possibility of a reunion. Hope all is well and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

    Radar gang '58-'59 Deepfreeze IV. I received a note from Dave's wife Mynn the pther day. Their address is 564 Waterford Dr., Manchester, NJ 08759. I am sure Dave would like to hear from shipmates.

    Boarded the Edisto in the North Atlantic via an oil tanker approximately July 1959. I was a seaman personnelman assigned to the engineering dept to maintain records. Also served a short period on messcooking duties. During my short tour we stopped in St Johns Newfoundland, Halifax Nova Scotia also went through a hurricane to rescue a Danish ship in distress. One interesting experience while assigned was I was on deck watch while the ship was anchored and the captain ordered me and one other person to drop the anchor without the normal crew. For me I had never been around an anchor and appreciated having at least one person who knew how. I left the ship in approvimately May 1960.

    It is Joy for us to visit this wonderful web site for the Navy US Edisto . We are learning a lot of the Ice breaker My Brother Charles A.Annabel was on back in 1961 to 64. Charles had Beautiful Photos he took on the Water of Ice With Breaker back then . He lost them From what we learned . Maybe this will help him to recall the Beauty!! He always chatted of the Good times in the South Poles !! Not real sure where all he been. I will have to chat with him again

    of this great Ship!! Keep up the Beautiful Site we willreturn to it more!!

    I served aboard the EDISTO during Operation Deepfreeze One as a Radioman First Class. I recall obtaining daily activity reports of the operation from Bernard Kalb, news reporter from the New York Times and William Hartigan of NBC news and transmitting their lengthy reports to our closest naval radion station in Guam, who in turn would relay them to Washington, DC. I also received a paper deed from Cmdr. Luther when the ship came upon an unchartered piece of land which he named "EDISTO ACRES." It was an experience one could never forget.

    Took the southern and northern cruises during '62 - '63. Am now living on the desert just northeast of Scottsdale doing computer graphics, ceramics, and woodworking. My business is Green River Studios. For those who might remember, I'm still married to the lady I married between cruises 40 years ago. I would like to hear from anyone who remembers me (us), especially Ken Lane, the best man at our wedding.

    I was one of three Helicopter pilots for Operation Deep Freeze Task Force 43 in 1958. The other pilots were Allen Erickson, P.O. Box 157, Siren, WI 54872 and Richard M. Nelson, who was shot down and lost in Vietnam. We were aboard the Edisto for 6 months. We also participated in a rescue in Uruguay, which lasted 10 days. The country was suffering from the worst flood in their history. We were national heros and got medals later from the Uruguaian Government. Had 2 choppers aboard. I got out of the Navy in 1967, after 16 months in Vietnam and later became a Special Agent in the U.S. Secret Service.

    I worked in the ship's office from 1958 - 1959. We participated in Operation Deep Freeze IV plus two cruises to the Arctic while I was on board.

    I'm so glad we finally have a web site for my old ship. I served aboard '56 to '59. 5 Artic and 1 Antartic cruises. It was a great duty station and I should have stayed in for a career but I met this beautiful blonde and she outranked me. We married, had 3 kids. Started out as a career builder and ended up in the restuarant business, retiring last year. I tried looking up my old buddies last year with no luck, maybe now I'll find them now. Bobby Haskell, Pete Townsend, Sam Didanato, Jack Auclair. Where are you guys. I'm still in Jersey. When is the reunion.

    Rear Admiral John Weldon Koenig

    I served on Edisto from February 1958 until December 1959 at which time I transferred to Submarine School in New London. Spent time on USS Swordfish(SSN 579), USS Andrew Jackson (SSBN 619 G), Fleet Ballistic Missile Training Center Charleston, USS Kamehameha (SSBN 642 B), COMFLOT SIX, Charleston, SC, USS Simon Bolivar (SSBN 641 B) as Commanding Officer, Nuclear Propulsion Examining Board Pacific Fleet, Commander Submarine Squadrons Six and Eight, Navy Military Personnel Command DC. CINCPAC J4, Commander Naval Training Center Orlando. Retired Feb 1, 1989. Now live in La Grange, Texas where I operate a small ranch and do community service work.

    Great to see the site. It has been some time since I have had the opportunity to talk to some of the icebreaker men. I keep in contact with two of them Norman Spruill and Thomas Harper. The site is well done.

    Served aboard the Edisto from May 58 to June 59 deploying to both the North and South Poles. This being my first assignment out of boot camp (GLakes)I was on the deck force and worked for Ralph Monday and several others. I recognize a few of the names from those that have already signed in. Had a chance to do it again, so in late 64 until May of 66, I served aboard the Atka (AGB-3) but this time, worked in the Ships Office. Great duty. Lots of stories to tell.18747

    Just thought you may want this photo taken aboard the U.S.S. Edisto,
    while we were in the Belle Isle Straights, 16 May 1965.

    It was taken by a ships photographer after we all recieved our new
    stripes. You will find me 6th from the left. The big guy on the right
    I believe was Gunnison.

    Well, I see I am not among the found or missing, but I did serve aboard the "Edisto" '64 - '65 as an RD2, having transfered from the U.S.S. Glacier AGB-4 and was aboard for the "Arlis II" rescue. Don't know how I've missed this web site before.

    Leo A. Makoski, Jr. RD2
    1964 - 1965

    I made one southern and one northern cruise.Was assigned to deck and shortly went to the radio shack as a striker. Served in ops with Rossey and Gunter. 1962 - 1964. did a south and north cruise. left as an rm3. did 24 years in law enforcement and now do pi work and teach.

    I served with helicopter squadron HU-2 aboard the USS Edisto during 1958-59 to the Antarctic Operation Deepfreeze 1V. We evacuated Ellsworth Station and turned that base over to the Argentines. This was the best experience of my life. I wish I could locate others in my flight crew.

    Served as Supply and DIsbursing Officer on the Edisto from May 1959 to July 1960.

    I was on the Edisto 1956- 1959 . Made three artic cruises and one antartic cruise. I live at 139 West main St, Youngsville, Pa 16371. Phone 1 814 563 8840. I am retired Insurance agent, Married 43 years, four kids and 10 grandchildren. Am enjoying this web site. Anyone who remembers me, give me a E mail. MAC

    Reported on board in June 1953 and finnaly left in June 1956



    I served on the Edisto 1964-65 . The first cruise was to the South where we built a weather station on the Palmer Pennisular. We then had a short BT Cruise after which we had to go right out again to rescue some scientists on Arliss 2 an Ice Island off Canada . The ship returned to Boston and was transferred to the Coast Guard.I was an FTGSN in Gunnery -I remember GM1 Byrd FTG2 English GM3s Bowles and Palmer and Seamen Kahley and Thompson.

    [email protected]
    I was on the "Eddy" as a deck force SN in 64-65. Deepfreeze '65 and two northern cruises one of which was the Arlis II rescue. I remember as part of turning her over to the Coast Guard I had to do a complete inventory of my space which was the after hold. I remember finding various bottles of booze which had been hidden there over the years and then forgotten. As I checked out supplies and tools in the next few days I would hand out the occasional bottle. I made a lot of friends that week. Great site, thanks for all the work that goes into it.

    [email protected]
    Hi Shipmates, I am very happy to find this web site. I woulod love to hear from any shipmates who remember me or the times I was aboard. Send me an email at [email protected] or call me at 770-973-4590. I was a radioman. Went aboard the Edisto as RMSN in 1961-62 and stayed aboard Edisto until 1964 and made RM2. I went to the South Pole once and North Pole several times. The ship went to Thule Greenland Iceland Oslo, Norway Panama Canal Zone and the best of all New Zealand. I remember the girls swimming out to meet the ship the first time we pulled into Lyttleton harbour and liberty in Christchurch. Anyone remember any of these great times? Get in touch and let's share some of these memories. Take care. Bill Poston RM2

    Was aboard the Steady Eddie 1958-59. AG2/1 in the Operations Div.
    Hi ya'll. I am George Soulia, was on Edisto 58-59 as an AG2/1. Made the
    3 cruises north (counting the return to Boston for burnt mufflers) and
    DF4. A great ship and a hard-working, hard-playing crew. I always said
    that Rio had so sense of humor after they requested us to get the hell
    out of port. :-)
    Great Web site guys. When is the reunion?

    Hello my name is kimberly I'm charles neal's yungest grandchild and I think your page is really cool&neat. well I hope you the best of luch with it. If you ever want to talk or chat e-mail me at [email protected] talk 2 you later.

    [email protected]
    Went aboard while ship was in Boston shipyard in 61', made two northern trips, a trip to Charlston, S.C.. and then Deepfreeze 62-63. Discharged as an EM2 in July 63. Later re-enlisted for nuclear power school, spent nearly 3 years at a nuclear prototype in Idaho Falls, Idaho and then two years aboard the USS Enterprise, including two cruises to Viet Nam. Was aboard when they had the big fire in Pearl Harbor in Jan 69, was discharged in July 69. Origionally from Fairplay, Colo., moved to the Pacific Northwest after the service, became a union construction electrician in Portland, Or. and retired in August of 2002. Have always enjoyed traveling, and plan on continueing to do so now that I'm retired. Married with 3 adult girls of my own, and four adult step kids. Total of 7 grandkids and one great granddaughter. Would enjoy hearing from anyone I used to run around with.

    [email protected]
    I was stationed on the USS Edisto AGB2 in 1958, 1959. Worked as logroom yeoman in Engineering Dept. Made one trip to North and one trip South Pole. I do not check email very often, but would like to hear from any old buddies. Call me in Greenville, NC. 27858 Home phone 252 321 2313

    Great site. Brings back a lot of memories, though can't remember too many names. Was a radioman on Edisto from July 61 to September 62. Made two trips to Thule. aka - Speedy

    I am just arriving into your neighborhood Shipmates of the U. S. S. Edisto
    AGB-2. This is a wonderful surprise after 56 years of seeking you out of the
    wilderness . I am Glenn C. Flenniken STCS SS, USN, Ret. I live in San
    Diego, CA at 2127 Blackmore Court, just skip from the "Warmer Waters" of the
    Pacific Ocean .
    I served in Edisto as a Seaman 2nd Class, at Western Pipe and Steel Yards
    in the Wilmington section of San Pedro . I was Drafted along with Dust and
    several others inFebruary 1947 to Edisto and worked for a pinstripe Warrant
    Officer (Bos'n or Supply) during Precom and Commissioning . After the
    Edisto was Commissioned I was transferred to Sonar School San Diego, attended
    6 months Basic Course of study in Sonar Ops and Electronic Material
    Maintenance. Thence to a Destroyer USS John R. Craig DD 885 and Western
    Pacific. Three years later to Submarine School, New London, CT and USS
    Trigger SS 564, subsequently in 1954 I spent 2 1/2 years in Puerto Rico at
    Ramey AFB, Aguadilla (western end of the Island), and finally back to San
    Diego in 1957. Instructor at U. S. Fleet ASW School, and a final sea
    assignment to Pearl Harbor in USS Sargo SSN 583 after which I returned to San
    Diego and a final 2 years as Instructor at FASW School and transferred to the
    Fleet Reserve after 23 years service . I might say here they were the Best
    years of my life !! I thoroughly enjoyed every day I spent in the
    companionship and camaraderie of U. S. Navy Sailors and the Officers we
    served with. A GREAT LIFE !!
    This has been a happy moment in this old man's later life to find this
    website . I hope to hear from as many of you as would like to share some
    personal comments with me.
    I have attempted to e-mail "Smokey" Davis at [email protected] But it
    bounces out as "not a member" . Can you help me? I would truly like to
    contact D.F."Dusty" Dust, but again he is an unknown whereabouts according to
    the listing in the Roster of Crews.
    Anyone having their Commissioning Certificate and the Program for the day
    of Commissioning, I am very eager to obtain a copy, as I have lost mine in
    the travels and it is my hope someone will make Laser copies for me at
    Staples or one of the shops adept at reproducing the documents in faithful
    likenesses. I am more than willing to pay for the costs and inconveniences
    experienced in this endeavor.
    I was assigned to EDISTO DAY AGB-2 in February 1947 (Precommissioning Detail) as a member of the Crew. I worked for a "Pin-stripe" Warrant officer (I believe he was either Bos'n or Supply I'm not certain) to outfit and ready the ship for commissioning. The ship was at Wilmington, California and we berthed at the Naval Station Long Beach where we were fed and paid. "Dusty" from Phoenix Arizona was a good friend, we were assigned to EDISTO,worked together and had been Galley Slaves at the Naval Station Galley in January 1947. I lost contact with the Crew when I was sent to Fleet Sonar School after the Ship's Commissioning in April 1947. I am proud that I have found the EDISTO BAY Website and look forward to conversing with some of the other "Plankowners" Please pass the word for me, this is a great feeling to find the crews.

    Served aboard Edisto from Fall 1956 untill June 1960. I have many great memories of my tour. Shipped over in 60 for six. Served aboard USS Everglades(made 1st class), served 3 yrs Great Lakes Recruit Training Command,and finished my enlistment aboard USS Carter Hall LSD 3. Began Postal career in 1966 and retired Oct 1992.

    I served on the Edisto 1956-57. I was a 3rd class engineman, EN3. I transferred from the ATKA over. You seem very organized. Keep me informed.

    As I was saying before I exceeded the guestbook text limit: . It was the trip of a lifetime for me and much more than I can relate in this note. I have written up some of it on my webpage at http://www.hal-pc.org/

    kg5u/tf2wiy.html Significant Recollections of a Shortimer Visitor: 1. Hanging over the bow watching ice crack (I, not that punk kid on Titanic, was King of the world!) 2. Playing ball on the ice 3. Seeing polar bears 4. James Bond/Beach Party movies 5. Arctic Circle crossing initiation 6. Awesome, scary storm on the way back to Iceland 7. An amazing ham radio shack. I was a radioman stationed at NavCommSta Keflavik 1964-1965. During the spring of 1965, the ice island, Arliss II, was floating down into the Denmark Straits between Iceland and Greenland and breaking up in the warmer waters. The scientists needed to be rescued, but their airstrip was cracked. The Edisto was dispatched from Boston, where it had only recently docked for replenishment and refit from an Antarctic tour. Since I had been one of the radio operators in the communications center assigned to monitor the ARLISS II circuit while on watch, my CO asked me if I wanted to go TDY onboard Edisto to help out in the radio gang. Seeing as how it (1) would my first real sea duty experience, (2) would be a trip up into the ice pack, (3) would be an Arctic Circle crossing, and (4) would be an honor to be part of the rescue team, I jumped at it. It was the trip of a lifetime for me and much more than I can relate in this note. I have written up some of it on my webpage at

    '59 to '61 Engineer Once north, once south - explains my bi-polar personality! - The Navy arranged to give the northern & southern hemispheres opposite seasons just so's 'breakers would be permanently at sea.

    My father was onboard 1959 1960 His name is Harry Moore he was a SN.He would like to get in touch with some of his old shipmates.

    My email address is included for listing on the ships roster. Also , rank on separation from USS Edisto was LTJG.

    My father served as ship doctor on three missions.Would like to hear from people that knew him Wayne

    Hi fellow shipmates,i am signing on for the second time with my own email address.I finally got on line.I was on the uss edisto around 1962 to 1964.Went north twice and south once. Arctic and Anarctic of course.Had some good times on board.I recognize Dave Thiems name on the muster list. Hi Dave ,got your phone message.We will get in touchStill learning this on line business.

    Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! I have finally come out of dormancy. I thought I had better get with the program and send a Commissioning Bulletin with all the original crew members' names. The pictures are some friends of mine while aboard the ship. I wish I had their addresses. I do know that Clarence Cain is from Oconto, Wisconsin, and Vernon Clark is from Arizona, but that was 56 years ago. The group picture at the Quanset Hut on Cornwallis Island is part of a larger group that built an air strip and the Quanset Huts. I understand it has grown to quite a larger base by now. It was quite an experience, because there were no docks to unload to. Everything had to be carried to land by landing boats, furnished by the cargo ship, which also had all the building materials and supplies.

    While on board I stood my watch mostly in the port motor room until we broke a screw and had to shut down one motor room. So, I lost my job in the motor room and I started my watch from then on in an engine room on the auxiliary generator. There was also two main drive diesels in the same room. That is where I lost part of my hearing. It was an awesome trip and one that I could not duplicate. I am glad and proud that I was part of it.

    My retirement is full of many, many projects. That is one reason I was so slow to respond. It is always good to hear from each of you, and hope you and families are doing well.

    My email address is [email protected] Linda, my wife, is doing this typing for me. She is fast. If I were doing the typing, it would delay this another month.
    Smokey Davis
    726 Bond Street
    Perry, GA 31069

    I served on the Edisto in 56 and 57.We made two trips to the Artic.I retired from the Fort Worth fire dept after 33 years. Thanks Eugene for the call.

    First I want to thank Eugne Fettinger for taking the time and calling me, I didnot expect any one out there to know of my exsistence, I came aboard the USS EDISTO,I belive in May of 1955 and in NOVEMBER of that year we sailed into history with OPERATION DEEP FREEZE ONE. I don't know how many deep freeze cruises the ship made after that but, BOB NEILSON and HERBIE DEMBRO were aboard with me at that time also. Hellow to everyone out there.

    I served on the Edisto from September, 1956, until May, 1958. I was on the deck force and never made it past seaman. I'm now an attorney in Madison, Wisconsin.

    I served on the Edisto from 1956 to 1958 as the Supply Officer. I served in the Navy for 33 years and retired in July 1985 as a Rear Admiral in the Supply Corps.

    Came aboard Edisto on Jul 1961 as SN, Assigned to deck mdivision, Found out that I was a QM Left the Edist on May 1963.went to shore duty. After shore duty rode three destoyers out of Mayport, Fl. Then went to Vietman. Retired in 1974

    Served on Edisto from May of 63 to Dec of 63. Worked in #2 engine room and made Artic cruise. Visited Greenland Iceland an Norway.


    I was on the Edisto from about October 1956 to October 1957. I was discharged from the Navy in 1958 after serving ten years. Then I enlisted in the Air Force and served ten more years, retiring in 1968. Thanks, Eugene, for contacting me and for giving me the address and phone number of Dave Pirozzoli, who served on the Edisto while I was there. I have talked with Dave and we recalled some happy memories.

    Hello to all shipmates who served aboard. I served from 1955-1957. You can contact me by email. Looking forward to hearing from old friends!

    Served on the Edisto from 1953 to 1957 on deck force. Made first trip to Antactica on "Operation Deep Freeze". Also have small, small deeded land of "Edisto Acres". Looking for Harold Myers, BM3., or anyone else who served during that time. Reunion would be Great!! Thanks to Eugene for finding me, and getting me on this website.

    I Was Aboard From 1955 to1957 I Was An Engineman 3rd Class. I Was in #3 Engineroom. I WAS On Operation Deepfreeze 1

    I went onboard the Edisto around Sept. 56 just out of "A" school in Great Lakes as an EMFN and was transfered to Newport R.I. for discharge in Nov. 58 as an EM2. For the almost 2 1/2 years on the "Eddie" we made I believe 3 trips North to such wonderful vacation spots as Baffin Island, Thule Greenland, Frobisher Bay Newfoundland and St Johns Newfoundland. In looking through the Guestbook I started to remember some of the guys that I served with during those "younger years" I bought a custom wrapped flyrod from Jack Auclare who as I remember as a DC2 and stood watches with Ken Lamalie in one of the Engine Rooms and those Damned hot and loud Fairbanks Morse Diesal Engines. One guy I remember was Dick Vialton who I came aboard on that first day and left with on the last and both of us left the Navy in "58". I'm truly happy that Eugene got in touch and will be checking this site on a regular basis. Bob Moon


    Hi, everybody. I served on the Edisto 1958 to 1959 and made deepfreeze IV when we turned ellsworth station over to argentia. anybody on that cruise remember the cook Carter or the photoman Powell. I do remember BM1 Saner. let me hear from anyone who remember any of these people.

    Served on the Edisto from 6/56 to 4/57 when I left for knee surgery. Served the balance of my duty aboard the USS Saratoga. Both ships were great for a diverse naval experience. Fondest icebreaker moment was having the deck when we broke out the icebound town of Corner Brook, Newfoundland in March, 57.

    I was on during Deep Freeze One. With VX6.

    On "Steady Eddy" from Jan. '64 to Oct. '65 when turned over to the Coast Guard at "Bean Town". Was deck ape all of '64, cross rated in '65 to FN and worked in B2. I was nicknamed Chipmunk by Cheif Curtis. Any Shipmate who remembers me with my Brooklyn accent please contact me at my email [email protected] Reenlisted in Dec. '65 into the Seabees, MCB1 to be exact. '66 & '67, 2 tours in Viet Nam and then 2 years at NAVFAC CAPE HATTERAS and left Navy in Nov of '69. My middle daughter is currently following in my footsteps and serving on active duty in the USN. She is an SK2 (SW/AW) serving aboard the fast combat support ship USS Rainier AOE7 and is currently, slowly making her way back to home port in Bremerton WA from the Persian Gulf.

    I'm currently leaving in Austell, GA after relocating from Amsterdam, NY because of GE Power Systems relocating. I have since retired from GE but I'm currently working in the same building that I was for GE but now as a vendor selling parts to GE. Some day would like to retire to Myrtle Beach. I have always had a lot of memories of my days aboard the USS Edisto (1963 & 64) and occasionally break out some of my slides from our trips and relive a lot of good times. Would love to here from some of my shipmates.

    My father, Marvin Jones, served aboard the Edisto (as a lieutenant or lieutenant commander) in 1947-1948. Sadly, he passed away several years ago but I know he would have enjoyed this wonderful site. I was only 4 years old at the time but have memories of coming aboard for dinner with my mother when dad had duty. My mother is going to do a search for pictures that dad had from those days. I will share them here once they are found. Thanks to all of you who have put together this wonderful vehicle of history and fellowship.

    The USS Edisto was my first duty station when I joined the Navy. I served from Dec 56 to Nov 58. I was an SN assigned to the gunnery department. Made one Gtmo training cruise and two Artic cruises. I stayed in the Navy for a total of 10 years. I served on the USS Obsevation Island EAG 154, the USS Cadmus AR14, the USS Aucilla AO 56 and The USS Long Beach CGN 9. I was an FTM1 when I left the service.

    Served aboard the Edisto from June 1957 till June 1960. I was an ET2 when I departed for Key West Florida (KWESTEVDET).

    I was a member of first crew in 1947 new ship USS EDISTO-AGB2-- STATIOIN CHARLESTOWN NAVY YARD BOSTON first trip to the Artic help build Baffin Island Auir Base then in Setember. went to Little America South Pole Interested in locating old friends, I was EM2 also the Movie operator.

    I was the junior pilot of the HU-2 detachment aboard the USS EDISTO during Deepfreeze IV, 1958-1959. The other two pilots were Al Erickson and Howell Purvis. I just found out about this web site from Bud McCollough who lives about 8 miles from here (Youngsville, PA). The Edisto was one of my favorite ships and I have a lot of fond memories of that rolling football. In addition to Deepfreeze I was on the ship two other cruises up north. I would really enjoy hearing from any of you who read this.

    I will try to send some of the names of other shipmates later on.thank you gene fettinger.Iwas on the edisto in 1955 thru 1958 I went to anartic with admiral byrd on operation deep freeze.WE stopped in new zealand in the towns of christ church auckland.I WAS THE GUY THAT WORKED WITH MALCOM DAVIS OF THE SMITHSONIAN .WE BROUGHT BACK THE PENGUINS.

    To all my shipmate on board the STEADY EDDIE, my warmest greetings to all of you from Virginia Beach, Virginia. I reported on board the USS EDISTO AGB-2 on February 1964 fresh from Boot Camp and service school as TN or Steward mate and was assigned as the Captain's Steward. I was among the last of the U.S. Navy crew to leave the Edisto after the turn-over of the ship to the U.S. Coast Guard in 1965. It was a brief duty that took me to a three Arctic cruise and one 6 months Antarctic Cruise. I retired from the US Navy after 23 years as DPC. I switch to Data Processing after 12 years as SD2. I retired again from civil servce, after 11 years at CINCLANTFLT HQ. I married the formar Lita Epi of Boston, MA and have 2 daughters and a son.

    Bader I. (Ike) Rupe, ET1, USN(ret)

    Was on Edisto for cruise north in summer of '64 only. Retired directly off Edisto on 20 years. What a wonderful way to end my Naval career. Fascinating!! Wouldn't have missed it for the world, but wouldn't want to make a habit of it. I hope I did my work well while I was aboard.


    Sailed from Boston Harbor in 1955 for the ice commencing Deepfreeze one. Summered, came back on Arneb and then returned on Curtiss and wintered in Deepfreeze two at Little America V. Retired in 1976 as ATCS and am now a minister of the Southern Baptist Denomination. Will get infor on Old Antarctic explorers and Deepfreeze one and two association and forward to you all. Good to hear from you all.

    Was on September 1956 through 1958. Hope to hear from someone! Morgantown, West Virginia.

    Served on the Edisto from 6/56 to 4/57 when I left for knee surgery. Served the balance of my duty aboard the USS Saratoga. Both ships were great for a diverse naval experience. Fondest icebreaker moment was having the deck when we broke out the icebound town of Corner Brook, Newfoundland in March, 57.

    Iwas on during Deep Freeze One. With VX6.

    I was on the Edisto from 1962 until 1964 and made a South and 2 North
    Cruises. Your name was given to me by Glen Smith as the person who can
    update the All Hands info for the Edisto sailors on the Edisto.agb2.com
    website. (I'm already on the website that Glen maintains) -- Maybe you can
    add the attached bio and pictures of me to the All Hands section. The 1st
    picture is me in 63, the 2nd is current day me. Please let me know if
    there is any problem with the photos and I will fix it, and re-send.
    Thanks very much for your help.

    Bob Weber, RD3, USS Edisto 1962-64 ? made two North's and a South ? New
    Zealand, Norway, Iceland, Panama, and of course MacMurdo Sound, Thule,
    Sonderstrom, and some Godforsaken eskimo village off Greenland or was it

    When I got out in 64 I landed a job with IBM as a computer operator, then
    moved on to programming. Since then I worked for several firms as a
    systems developer/programmer and eventually ended up with the Federal
    Government as a Computer Specialist and a manager. I have worked for
    several Federal agencies such as Social Security, Office of Child Support &
    Enforcement, and the Department of Treasury. I was married in 1965 and
    have six children (5 boys and a girl) ranging in age from 37 to 18, along
    with three grandchildren. My wife and I have just celebrated our 38th
    wedding anniversary. We moved from New York to Maryland in 1978 when my
    oldest boy was just 12 and have been here ever since. I really cherish the
    memories of our days on the Edisto and have often thought about the guys I
    sailed with especially Lenny, Sal, Mason, Malcom, Verborg, Rotshing, Arnie,
    Kraftjack, Bothwell, Sled, Keeler, Poirier, Carradine, Kelsey, Ltjg's
    Whitelaw, Smith, Donnelly, and a whole bunch of guys who's names I have
    forgotten. Forgive me if I left off someone I should have remembered. I
    hope I see many of you again at a reunion. In fact, I'm looking forward to
    my phone number is 301-898-7249. I wish
    the best of luck and health to all of you?.

    My dad will be pleased to be a part of your site. He retired from Case/IH tractor here in Racine, WI several years ago. He worked as a welder throoughout his working life, a trade he learned in the Navy. He's an avid reader, and is particularly interested in the Civil War. At any rate, thank you once again.

    Watch the video: Commencement Bay Class (May 2022).